Chapter 26

Chapter 26

My lips form the shape of an 'O.' The conversation is taking such a different turn than I expected it would, especially for being so early in the morning. My temples throb, unsure of how to process every word falling from Blake's confident lips.

In a matter of minutes, Blake has admitted his feelings towards me run deeper than just physical.

How much deeper? I'm not sure.

It's enough that he's willing to wait for me, though. Fight for me. Stomach the thought of Cade and I spending time together – alone and with more than just 'friendly' intentions. Yes, there was also a small bit in there about a limited Richter scale of patience, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

If anything, that bit just revs my engine further.

"Alright," I respond.

Blake raises a brow and puts his hands on his hips. "Alright? That's your only response?"

My mouth flounders open and closed. "I mean. How were you expecting me to respond?"

Blake rolls his eyes and walks over to the dresser to pick up his wallet. He opens it and thumbs through his cash, the high numbered bills flicking past his fingertips. I can only imagine how much he carries on him at one time. It'd probably make my head spin.

He sighs and closes his wallet again, stuffing it into his back pocket. "It doesn't matter; I misspoke. That's a very typical 'Callum' response, and I should have been prepared for it."

The sudden shift of his mood has my mental claws scrambling to find a way to fix it. It's not like I'm unappreciative of everything he said. It's the exact opposite. I want to tell him that it meant a lot to me....and that my feelings for him are more than just physical too.

I grab for my flavored water beside the bed, guzzling down half the bottle to bide myself some time. The words seem to be stuck at the base of my throat, refusing to surface. Blake starts walking towards the door, and I internally panic knowing I'm about to ruin another moment between us.

"Where are you going?" I ask.

"We have a meeting with the construction crew in an hour, so I'm going to run and grab us some breakfast. Shouldn't take me more than twenty minutes, so please be ready by the time I get back."

His fingers curl around the door handle and I throw off the covers.

"Wait!"

My feet collide with the floor, a little wobbly from the lingering alcoholic effects from last night. Blake turns towards me, his face once again composed and impassive as ever.

"What?"

"I...I..."

My thoughts are muddled, all of them passing through cement before reaching the forefront of my mind. I swallow again. There's no way I can say anything now. But maybe, maybe if I can show him that I still want him, that'll be enough reassurance. For now, anyway.

"I didn't give you my order," I say. "For breakfast."

It's pathetic, but it makes Blake pause. His fingers move away from the handle and he gives me an exasperated sigh.

"Fine. What's your order?"

His response is cold and irritated, and my defenses can't help but rear their ugly heads. I glare at him but choose to remain silent. I can't get the moment more off-course than it already is.

I shoulder past him and tug off my shirt. It lands in a heap on the bathroom floor, overlapping the towel that Blake used minutes ago to dry his hair. With my back turned towards him, I take a deep breath, trying to fend off the nervous jitters.