Chapter 12

Chapter 12

My conversation with Cade ends up being longer than expected. I start with the grudging admittance that I signed over to be Blake's personal bitch, a job where the only perk it carries with it is the money.

Cade nods and pours me another shot – on the house.

Another shot turns into two more.

By the end of my fourth shot, I muster enough liquid courage to share with Cade the intimate moment shared between Blake and me earlier this afternoon. Ever playing the part of a dutiful bartender, Cade nods his head here and there, asking minimal questions only when they're appropriate.

I take out my wallet and slap a twenty on the black and white marbled surface.

"I told you they were on the house," Cade says with a friendly smile.

"I know," I say, pushing past the slight slur that's battling my ability to form an intelligent sentence. "I'm not paying you for the drinks. I'm paying you for listening to this stupid, gay bullshit."

Cade laughs again. It's something he does a lot, I notice. His approachable and light-hearted demeanor annoyed me at first, but now it's kind of growing on me. It's certainly more tolerable with a few drinks in me, too.

"Callum, if you knew the stories I heard working at a job like this, you would be blown away. I'd like to think it's just a part of my job duties – along with making drinks and having a physique that drive all the men crazy."

I scoff at his egotism and he smirks.

"Oh come on, Callum. Can you honestly tell me you haven't looked at me a single time throughout this entire conversation and thought of me as slightly attractive?"

"I mean. I've seen better. Not that I was looking," I quickly finish.

Cade chortles under his breath. The sound makes me crack a smile this time. A gentleman takes a seat two stools away from me. Cade holds up a finger to pause our conversation and steps to the side, asking the new customer what he'd like to drink.

I don't bother looking over; Cade confirmed my earlier suspicion that looks among the gay community come packed with a punch. Instead I keep my eyes forward, trained on the soft glint of light bouncing off the marble countertop.

After a few minutes, Cade returns and pushes my twenty away from him.

"Keep it," he says. "That way you can buy yourself a few drinks the next time you come in here."

I open my mouth to argue, but Cade cuts me off with another question – a question I really don't want to answer.

"So you claim that you've seen better while simultaneously admitting this Blake guy is seductive enough to get a kiss out of you. I have to ask – what's this sexy boss-man look like?"

I groan into my hands, cursing myself for coming into this bar in the first place. The point of coming here was to be around other gay men and learn to not be weird around them. So far, all that's been accomplished on my journey is chatting it up with a gay bartender about my issues with Blake and downing four shots of Vodka.

In other words?

Fucking. Pointless.

"Just throw me a bone," Cade urges. "Tall? Short? Dark hair? Big dick?"

"Oh shut up, you idiot," I mutter, and Cade throws his head back with laughter.

With how many times he's done this over the past hour, I'm surprised he doesn't have light whiplash. His question pulls an image of Blake into the forefront of my mind.