Chapter 14

Chapter 14

9:02 AM.

I watch the clock with daring eyes, almost willing Blake to pound down my hotel door. It's not like I make it a point to be late to everything work-related. In all other instances, my tardiness is completely unintentional.

This time, however, while I stare at the clock with confrontational scrutiny, my lack of punctuality is very deliberate. Every second that ticks by is another second of silent protest to Mr. Benson.

My fingers pick at the half-eaten bagel I ordered for breakfast. The dry bread becomes smashed in between my thumb and index finger before being loosely dropped onto the floor. A piece of me hopes it sticks to the carpet and Blake will have to pay an additional fee.

9:07 AM.

I glance away from the clock, pulling my phone out of my pocket when I feel it buzz with an unread text. A grin of satisfaction slips on my lips when Blake's name flashes across my screen.

Blake: Where are you?

A million responses itch at the tips of my fingers, but I don't respond at all. Especially not this quickly. He needs to think things are just as they always have been. He needs to think I am just as lazy, aloof and uncaring as I was the first day I started working for him.

I pick off another piece of bagel, this time popping it into my mouth and chewing on it slowly. Blake's itinerary rests on the bed next to me. My eyes scour over the day's events, and I bite back a roguish grin when I see our first appointment is supposed to be at 9:30 AM.

9:18 AM.

As the clock pushes close to 9:20 AM, I hear loud footsteps stomping down the hallway. I jump up from the bed, dusting away the bagel crumbs from the length of my shorts.

Show time.

Knock.

Knock, knock.

KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK.

"Callum!" I hear Blake shout from the other side of the door. "Open this door! Now!"

His voice is deep and rich with fury. The sound of it sends a tremor down my spine. I've heard him irritated a few times, but I've never heard him this upset. I swallow down the wad of bagel sitting in the side of my cheek and pad across the carpet towards the door.

"Callu-"

I open the door, cutting off Blake's shout. He stares down at me, his mouth twisting with rage. His cheeks are tinted red and his eyes look dark enough to be sinister. He narrows his gaze on me.

"Get your ass down to the lobby," he commands with a whisper. "Now."

"Yep, sure thing, sir."

I shoulder past him and walk down the hallway towards the elevator. A nonchalant whistle dances between the hollow space between my cheeks. Whatever melody that comes out I'll never know, because all I can hear is my pulse thumping against my eardrums.

Blake stops my hand before I have a chance to hit the 'down' button of the elevator. His masculine hand curls around my wrist.

"I – I apologize," he says through gritted teeth. "For my language just a few moments ago. It was tactless."

The apology seems to do more good for Blake than it does for me. He releases my hand and straightens his jacket, reaching out to press the button for the elevator. His cheeks lose their heat of anger – of passion – and his expression once again mirrors the illusion of unflappable calm and composure.