Chapter 16

"Great," Zayn said as he jogged towards Lily, Liam and I who were just about to get into the car," I have to do community work today again," he sighed and he wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me in for a hug.

"No," I whimpered as the smell of smoke and aftershave intoxicated me. Zayn had been doing community work after school for a few days since his momentary flare up with the head of university and I missed him playing with my hair as I struggled with my homework. 

"I'm sorry baby, I promise I'll walk home as fast as possible yeah?" his accent was stronger than usual and his caramel coloured eyes peered into my own before. "Ali, can I take you out on Saturday?" he asks, his voice sincere.

"Hurry up Ali!" Lily shouts from the car but I can tell she's joking and I press my lips against Zayn. He froze on the spot but relaxed slightly and as I pull away he realises no one was around so he slouches and a smile appears on his face. Is he happy no one knows about us? Zayn wasn't like that, he would never be embarrassed to tell anyone about you, he wants to take it slow I remember. 

"Of course," I smile politely at him and jump into the car, Zayn waving us off until we were out of sight.

*

"Right, so I've decided I probably need to bring people home some gifts, like, I don't wanna arrive home with nothing," Lily said as Liam dropped us off at the football pitch so we could practice for Saturdays match as I missed the training session.

"I know you might feel like you have to but everyone will just be glad to see you," I remind her honestly. I see a smile appear on her face as she positions herself in goal.

"Shoot at me!" she shouts and I laugh, setting the ball on the pitch. I take a long run up and kick it to the lefthand side but Lily managed to stop it, her goalie skills ten times better than my own.

"Yo yo yo, whatsup sexy?" a masculine voice came from the other side of the pitch and I turned to see 5 boys in dark clothing making their way towards us.

"Keep going, they'll get uninterested and leave," Lily commented and I nodded, not being able to shake off the feeling that she was wrong, that they wanted so much more from us that she dared to admit. She kicked the ball to me forcefully and I stopped it with my foot, kicking it right at her again.

"ladies!" another voice came and I felt myself growing increasingly smaller, their voices nearing. 

"Lily," I whisper hoarsely, the cold of the winters night clearly having an effect  on my throat.

"Honestly," she smiles at me,"we'll be alright." I turn around and they are really close, closer than I want them to be. I am able to make out features and I note them quickly in my head just incase.

"It's getting dark," one smiles smugly and Lily ignores him, walking beside me and kicking me the ball.

"FLoodlights," I point out sarcastically, not letting the boys know that I'm petrified of them and that if they were to touch me I'd burst into tears.

"Sassy," one winks and I shiver, his horrible face haunting me.

"Right boys pack it up, we're trying to practice," Lily gestures her hands to the ball and me and they erupt into laughter.

"Don't worry, we won't bother yous any longer, sorry for the interruption," the main one smiles and he motions for the others to follow, which they do quite quickly. I sigh in relief as they turn the corner and Lily smiles at me.

"Told you there was nothing to worry about, they're just creeps hoping to get attention."  I half smiled at her, just wishing we could go home. I think she sensed it too cause she grabbed my arm and the football. "That's enough for tonight I guess, we'll be fine on Saturday. We have to walk home though cause I forgot my phone." I shrug and we make our way out of the park, the streetlights the only light helping us along the way.

"Well well well," a familar voice came and I felt my chest tighten as I realised it was the boys from the pitch following us. I try to say Lily's name but I remain mute, unable to make myself speak. I follow Lily's quickened pace but a boy jerks my arm back.

"It's rude not to reply you know," he smiles with his uneven teeth, his breath smelling of alcohol and smoke.

"Get off her," Lily snaps and another boy grabs her arm as she grimaces in pain.

"C'mon girlies, we only want a little fun." 

"Yeah girls, only a little fun," a smaller boy mocks as he takes a swig on an unknown substance from a bottle, more than likely alocohol.

"where could they be?" Liams worried voice comes from behind the gang and I see Zayn and Liam stop dead in their tracks.

"Liam!" Lily's voice is relieved and the boy holding onto her loosens his grip and walks swiftly away, followed by another few.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" Zayn's eyes dart to my arm and the boys hand drops from it's position and he holds them up innocently.

"Shit sorry man, got the wrong idea," he laughs awkwardly and he begins to walk away but Zayn grabs his hoodie and pulls him sharply backwards.

"If you ever fucking touch my girl again I swear you're a dead man walking, you got that?" he spits and the younger boy nods, fear evident in his eyes. Zayn punches him in the face and Liam pulls him back ,releasing the boy.

"Go," Liam rushes and he runs off, falling to the ground once. Zayn looks at me and LIly then back to me again.

"What the hell are you two doing roaming these streets alone at night?! There's so many fucking creeps around here! Look what would've happened if I hadn't of got here, you both.."

"I get it!" I shout, interrupting him and walking towards Lily and Liam, a tear rolling down my face.

"Enough Zayn," Liam whispers, pressing a kiss on Lily's temple and wrapping his arm around my waist. It's only now I realise how badly I was shaking and I start sobbing violently into Liams arms.

"Don't cry," Zayn soothes as he climbs in beside me in the car and I bury my face into his chest, his smell so familar and calming. He rubs my back and I sob harder, only me making noise in the car on the way back to the flat.