Chapter 27

Meoquamee POV

I lay still on the floor of my small cell. I've survived, but how much more can I take before I finally crack? I'm no closer to exposing James then when I first started. I still haven't figured out how to get Kilala to her mate and it seems the longer I'm here the worse things get.

Maybe I should just leave, I could meet Ki and we could go far away where no one would ever find us. No, I can't ask Ki to give up any chance of finally being with her mate just for me, it wouldn't be right.

I will stay long enough to help Ki, then I'm gone. Ki will be able to expose James without fearing because her mate will keep her safe. That's what would be best for everyone, at least I hope it will be.

I hear footsteps but don't bother getting up, after all they aren't coming for me, at least I hope not that is. Much to my horror they stop in front of my cell door. I brace myself as I hear keys jingle before the door swings open revealing Beta Truett. I can't help sigh in relief.

"Lu- Amee why are you laying on the floor it's filthy?

"I g-got t-tiered..."

He looks around and frowns, releasing there isn't a cot or any other items of furniture in the small cell.

"Come the Alpha has ask you be brought to him immediately."

"I d-don't want t-to go, please don't make me." I may be stuttering from the cold but staying here would be a hundred times better then having to face him right now.

"I'm afraid it's not my decision. He did say however if you want to change first, you may."

I sigh and look down at my now torn and bloodied dress. At least the blood isn't that noticeable yet since it hasn't completely dried, but how am I going to explain it to Adelaide. I mumble an okay before standing up with great effort.

The Beta looks worried when I wince so I tell him I tripped on the hem of my dress and fell on the steps coming down. It's a lie but I think he bought it, thank the moon. He leads me back to the pack house, waiting outside my room while I shower and change.

I throw on a long skirt and a slightly to big sweater, running my fingers through my hair I leave it down putting on a knitted head band and tying on my ankle boots. Making sure all evidence of earlier are safely hidden.

Finally ready I step out, nodding to the Beta, who then leads me to Melle's office. Taking a deep breath I mind link him for permission to enter as my arm is just to tired to raise. He says to come in, and opens the door.

I really hope whatever he wants to say is short and sweet because I'm dead on my feet.

"I want to see your arm." Well that is short

"Excuse me?"

"I said show me your arm."

"Why, what for."

"Just do it."

"I'm not buying Nikes here Melle, if you don't tell me why, I won't be showing you my arm."

He growls and stocks towards me. I back up until my hand finds the doorknob, realising that I'm about to run, Melle stops his advance. My hand however does not leave the doorknob.

"Look I just need to see something."

"On my arm?"

"Yes."

"What?"

"I just... want to make sure you're alright."

"I'm fine." Liar, liar, panties on fire, hanging from a telephone wire. Who actually hangs burning underwear on a wooden poll connected to another wooden poll by electrical wires anyways?

"If you're fine let me see your arm."

Could he have seen the bruise from earlier, maybe he knows, maybe I should just tell him, well part of it anyways.

"Look if it's about the bruise I have, it happened at the celebration. I tripped on my dress and Elder Bodolf grabbed my arm so I wouldn't fall."

"Thank you for explaining, I was worried someone was hurting you." He really does look relived, at least now I know James' orders weren't from Melle.

"Why would you think that?"

"The bruise..."

How did he see it when Adelaide helped me cover it up?

"Well thanks for being concerned...."

"It's my job to make sure everyone in my pack is treated right." Well that hurt.

After a few minutes of awkward silence he finally breaks it

"Iwanttoapologize" he mutters and scratches his neck.

"What?"

He sighs rubbing his hand over his face. "I want to apologize."

"What for?"

"For... this evening... for making you leave the celebration. I... I got jealous when I saw you dancing with someone else after we had just broken up and... well, I kinda lost it."

To say I'm shocked is an understatement the Alpha is apologizing!

"I-It's alright, I guess..."

"I know we broke up but could we give it another shot? The Luna has made it clear she isn't interested if that's worrying you."

YES! "No, I'm afraid it wouldn't work out."

He looks hurt "Why not?"

"I... just... need time... to adjust. Maybe later on..."

"Why not now? I could help you adjust!" He looks so hopeful, why does this have to be so hard?!

"I don't know..."

"Please... just give me, us another chance."

"I'll have to think about it."

He looks disappointed but hope still shines in his eyes. "That's all I'm asking."

"Goodnight... Melle."

His eyes darken when I say his name but unlike when Elder Bodolf, James and Bram's eyes darken he doesn't seem angry. In fact he seems to... like it?

"Goodnight Meoquamee." I can't help the smile that spreads across my face, hearing my name coming from his lips makes me feel strange, but in a good way.

As I head to my room I know I'm still wearing that ridicules smile. I am no longer exhausted, and my pain is now only a dull ach. It's like someone is helping me, sharing it with me. Of course I know that's impossible but still that's what it feels like.

I open my door only to see a figure sitting on my bed. I gasp in shock and stumble, catching myself on the door frame. I put my hand over my racing heart trying to calm it.

"What are you doing in my room at this hour? You almost gave me a heart attack!"

"I need to talk to you."