Chapter 33

Meoquamee's POV

I can't believe I was stupid enough to fall right into this trap, I'm so stupid!
I should have known something wasn't right, especially since it wasn't Bram's style and his brother was right there with me. I mean how dumb can I get?!

The door to my so called room screeches in protest as it's pushed open, to reveal a surly looking youth, no more than sixteen or seventeen. Despite his age, his eyes are empty, cold and calculating. Making me wonder what could have happened to him that would rob him not only of his childhood but also his compassion and humanity.

"Get over here."

I obediently stand and walk over, apparently to slow for his liking because as soon as I'm close enough he grabs hold of my forearm and drags me out, pushing me forward and down a short hallway. Reaching a metal door he opens it and shoves me rather roughly might I add inside, before closing and locking it securely behind me.

Looking around I notice it resembles 'torture tower' in contents, minus the knives unfortunately at least then I would have a chance to defend myself. There in the middle of the room, smirking dare I say it, evilly down at me is Janie.

"How could you, I know you were sick but this is low even for you."

She chuckles darkly. "Oh yes, yes I am sick. Sick with love but you had to come along and take him from me."

"Take who from you?"

"You know very well who! My mate and don't act so shocked, we both know you did it on purpose, just to spite me."

"Janie, I swear I don't know what you're talking about! I would never intentionally take another woman's man let alone her mate. You've got to believe me!"

"Believe you, why? You speak nothing but lies. We both know you've always taken away everything you could from me, even my parents. But that wasn't enough for you was it? No, you had to take everything from me, didn't you?!"

"No, Janie I swear to you, no!"

"Yes! Yes, you did! Don't lie to me! All I ever heard growing up was "Meoquamee does this" and "Meoquamee would never do that" "Why can't you be more like your cousin?" And then, then when I found him do you know what he said? He said I was the woman of his dreams. But then you came along and it started all over again. "Meoquamee is so much prettier, she cooks so much better, why can't you be more like Meoquamee?" And then he rejected me, for you. So now you'll have to pay."

Melle's POV

Kilala gasp "Janie!"

He nods "He rejected her before pursuing..." he trails off looking nervously at me and mumbling something under his breath.

"The Luna." The title may be forced but my wolf approves the acknowledgement of her rank.

"How could he?" To our surprise it is my father who speaks first shaking his head in astonishment.

"He was obsessed with her, I knew it wasn't healthy or normal for that matter but even his wolf wanted her, I assumed she was his second chance mate until I realized she was your mate. Then I knew it wasn't possible, I blamed her, that's why I was so mean to her. I guess I just didn't want to except my brother had a problem. Believe it or not after she left I convinced him to start going to a shrink and it's been working so far."

As angry as I am I can see how hard it would be to acknowledge someone you loved had a problem of that severity. If our situations were reversed I would probably blame Amee too.

"Do you have any idea where Janie may have taken her?"

"No but I do know she was able to form her own following, how, I don't know. However I do know, they're mostly rogues who've been rejected by their mates or have had their mates die somewhere along the way. There are a few exceptions of course but not to many."

"They're probably following her with the promise of revenge, in which case it will be a harder fight since they won't just be fighting to keep Amee but to have their idea of justice."

I must say for a cat, Kilala has a very good point.

"Unless we get to someone on the inside to help us." The feline continued

"That's a good plan, my love, but if we don't know were they are and have no way to communicate with them how could we get them on our side?"

Kilala chews on her lip for a minute before smiling widely. "We can communicate! The pack link never broke!"

"What? That's impossible." My father shakes his head in disbelief.

"Unless you're an Alpha or a Luna."

"But we never had the Luna ceremony..."

"As long as you're the Alpha's mate, and they haven't taken another as Luna, all you need to become Luna is for someone in the pack to acknowledge you as one, which both myself and Luna Adelaide, did Melle!"

"You mean I could have been linking with her this whole time and you just now thought you should tell me you acknowledged her?!"

My wolf argues saying it's my fault for not attempting to link her before, for not realizing the pack bond hadn't changed between us but like usual I just ignore him.

Truett looks down sheepishly "It slipped my mind, Alpha. I apologize."

I nod before beginning my efforts to link Meoquamee. Unfortunately she seems to be blocking me and no matter how hard I try I can't seem to push through. It's as though she's purposely keeping the pack link closed securely. Fear begins to rise within me as I continue to try without success, why would she block me out unless she was experiencing something she didn't want me to feel.

Oh my beautiful Amee, please be strong and hold on, for me.