Run?

After a long night of battling with my wifi connection, I was tired. All the coffee and patience in the world couldn't fix my frustration at this point. I yanked my headphones from my ears and groaned. I needed sleep.

I needed a life..

Freaking scholarship essays.

I ran my fingers through my hair before letting my head hit the desk.

I needed to do these. My future as a graphic designer depended on it.

I tried for another ten minutes before slamming my computer shut and punching my fridge in anger.

"Son of a mother loving bit-"

🎶MARSHMALLOW MARSHMALLOW🎶

I stared down at my phone in confusion.

Who would be calling me right now? It's freaking 3am..

I picked up my phone and at a glance it was not a number I knew and I was fairly positive it was not a US number. I had a side business online for comissions but for someone to call this late, or rather, this early was ridiculous.

Should I even answer?

After a few more seconds of evaluating I decided to answer. If it was a customer then great for me and if not... well the only thing I was doing was beating my fridge.

"Hello?"

There was a few gumbled voices in the background that I couldn't quite pick up and then a loud 'shhhh' and silence.

"Uh Hello, my name is..."

My heart clenched for a moment before I took a deep breath and calmed myself.

So it's an asian number... weird..

The was a loud cough and I didn't quite catch the name.

"Umm how may I help you? It's a bit late here so..."

"Oh I'm sorry-" 

"That's alright." I said in Korean. I assumed from the way he pronounced his words the caller was Korean. It was a presumptuous guess but I'd been studying Japanese for a few years and Korean for quite a bit more. I was fairly fluent in both, Korean more than Japanese.

"You can speak korean?" He sounded astonished at the fact.

I chuckled. "Yes I can speak Korean."

"Are you korean?"

"Not even close. I am very American." I confirmed in English.

"Your Korean is very good."

"Ah thank you." The complement brought a smile to my lips. It was nice to know I hadn't lost my ability to speak Korean and that someone was able to comprehend what I was saying.

I heard someone whine 'Hyung' in the background and the speaker cleared his throat.

"Is there anything I can do for you?" I added as I glanced at my alarm clock.

"Ah yes... I have a question."

"Mhmm?" I pulled out a notebook and pencil to take notes in case it was a commission He had called for.

There were a few more moments of silence before he spoke again.

"Is your refrigerator running?"