Part 45: Guilty Conscience

I opened my eyes to complete darkness. I checked the time, one forty-six in the morning.

I turned my head to the left and there lay my beautiful husband sound asleep. I began staring at his features. He's so cute and I'm so lucky to call him mine. He's everything I've ever wanted and more. I just-

I was cut off by a sharp pain in my stomach. I was confused on what was going on because I've rarely had pain throughout my pregnancy.

I rubbed my hands over the spot that hurt and then I felt it.

The one simple movement that brought tears to my eyes. My baby girl finally kicked for the first time.

"Austin." I whispered through my soft sniffles. I wanted Austin to share this moment with me.

Of course, Austin being the stubborn little bitch he is, wouldn't budge. I sat up slightly and placed my hands on his shoulders. I began shaking him lightly, trying to get him to wake up.

"Babe, I'm tired. What do you need?" he mumbled, not opening his eyes. Instead of telling him, I grabbed his hand and placed it where she kicked before. "What are you do-oh my god. Did she just...?" His eyes shot right open.

"Yeah." Was all I responded. A huge smile formed on his lips.

Austin sat up next to me and cradled my face in his hands. His thumb moved in circles on my cheek, as his lips descended onto my own. My heart fluttered, just like it always does. "I'm so happy you're with me again." Austin's whispered once we pulled away.

"I didn't really have a choice on if I wanted to come or not. You needed me, so I came." I whispered back. Our foreheads were connected and our eyes were still closed. Well at least mine were, I dont know if his are or not.

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay, just please don't do this to me ever again." I begged.

"Just don't leave me." I heard him whisper.

"Just because we are apart doesn't mean you can starve yourself so that we are together again. I was going crazy too, I missed you like crazy. I even thought about buying a dog, that's how lonely I was." I told him honestly.

"I know, love. I'm sorry, I won't do it ever again!" he quickly kissed my cheek before we both laid down again. I cuddled into his side and tried to fall back asleep. I kept shutting my eyes and trying to get my mind to drift off, but it just wouldn't. "Babe?"

"Yeah?"

"Would you sing to me? I can't fall asleep." I whined into his chest. I could honestly lay in his arms forever.

"Of course, sweet pea." He responded. I giggled quietly at the nick name he used for me. He's such a dork.

"Aye oh, never let go of me,
Hold tight, it's gonna get hard to breathe,"
he began singing to me softly, "Never never let you drown,
even if you're going down
Hey oh, never let go of me."

He stopped singing and I began to whine. I love falling asleep to his voice, it's probably one of my favorite things in the world. "Sorry, baby. I only know that part." I started pouting, even though it was too dark for him to see. "Let me think of a new song to sing." I smiled against his chest.

"I've been thinking about you all day long, hoping you pick up your phone.

And I know that I don't wanna lose your love, oh baby, oh baby, oh baby.

Oh girl I got a secret place that we can go,
'Cause I really wanna be alone,
And baby nobody else gotta know,
Just meet me later on the low."

My eyes finally began to get heavy as I slowly drifted off to sleep.

"Don't tell me you're my heartbreaker,
'Cause girl my heart is breaking,
Don't tell me you're my heartbreaker,
'Cause girl my heart is breaking."

The last thing I remember before drifting off, was Austin kissing my forehead softly.

~Morning~

I woke up to a loud crash. I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion as I slowly opened my eyes. I noticed Austin wasn't in bed any more. I began to worry about what the crash was. I immediately got up and saw Austin on the floor.

"Austin?" I asked softly while a small yawn escaped my lips. He just groaned in response. "Are you alright?" I questioned him, trying to hold back my laughter.

"I thought that I'd be able to walk but I just ended up falling." He groaned again and I immediately felt bad. I got myself out of bed and walked over to him.

I put my hand out for him to take so I could help him to his feet. He gladly accepted and once he was standing, he had to lean on me for support. I slowly led him back to the bed. He just sat down on the edge and started laughing. "What's so funny?" I asked, confusion laced in every word.

"You should've seen me fall! It was so funny." Austin exclaimed, while holding his stomach while he laughed.

"Austin. That's not funny." I told him sternly. In all honesty, it's not funny at all. The reason he fell is because he is still weak. The reason he is weak is because he was starving himself. So no, I do not find this funny one bit.

"I'm sorry?" When he said that, it came out more like a question. His eyebrows pulled together and his facial expression clearly showed that he was confused. I didn't say anything.

"I'm going to go get us some food. I will be right back." I spoke quietly before making my way to the door.

"Uhh, okay." Austin spoke awkwardly.

When I was out in the hall, I realized that I didn't know how I was going to get food. I pulled out my cell phone and called Rocco.

"Hey, Gabby! Is everything okay?" Rocco spoke through the phone.

"Yeah, everything is fine. I just need a ride somewhere to get us food. I don't particularly want to eat hospital food." I explained to him, my situation.

"Oh, of course. I'll come pick you up in a few minutes."

"Okay, see you in a little bit. Just text me when you're here."

"Will do. Bye, Gabby."

"Bye." I said before hanging up the phone. I made my way to one of the chairs in the waiting room.

I sat in the chair for only five minutes until my phone buzzed, indicating that Rocco was here. I got up and headed out to the parking lot. Rocco was parked in the first lot, in the first parking space.

"Hey, kid." Rocco greeted me as I got in the car. I gave him a small smile. "Is everything alright?" He asked me with a worried expression.

"Uh, not really. I know Austin is getting better and stuff, It's just-I mean, i dont know." I looked down and began playing with my fingers.

In all honesty, I haven't gotten over the fact that he was starving himself. It's not because he is sick, or any other reason that could've been prevented. The reason he's in there could've been prevented. I could have prevented it. This is all my fault.

"It's my fault, isn't it? I should've called him more or something. He wouldn't have felt as lonely then. I should've taken this more seriously when I knew he wasn't eating properly five months ago." I began thinking aloud, forgetting Rocco was sitting right next to me.

"This isn't you're fault." He looked over at me, still not moving out of the parking lot. "Don't beat yourself up over it. Austin is doing fine, sure it's going to take a little bit for him to regain his strength, but he'll be okay." I didn't answer, I just kept looking at my lap. "okay, what do you want?"

"I don't care anymore." I mumbled.

"Is dunkin' donuts okay?" I nodded my head yes. "Are you just going to be quiet this whole ride?" He asked, pulling out of the parking lot. Again, instead of speaking; I just shrugged. "Well okay then."

The ride was silent. It was such an awkward silence, but I just didn't know what to say or do. No matter what anyone says, I'm always going to feel like this is my fault.

I could've prevented this.

_____________________

HEY!

It's been awhile. Wow. I am so sorry! I will be updating regularly again, or at least try to.

I'm sorry if this chapter is terrible, I just wanted to out something. I will try to write a longer chapter next time. okay?

I hope you guys haven't lost interest. I love you
❤️

VOTE, COMMENT, FAN.

THANK YOU
💕