Bad Dreams

Jay's POV

It's been a few days since Yeri has been in the hospital. I've stayed with her every night since then, sleeping on the couch they placed inside of the room. Most of the times it too uncomfortable to even fall asleep in,  but it makes do. Yeri has been having these bad dreams every single time she's fallen asleep. She won't tell me what they are about or how I can help her. I've offered staying in bed with her or reading her to sleep, but she always says no. It's frustrating to see how she is so stubborn, kind of like me in that way. I want to help, I want to be here for her, but every single time I get the feeling she doesn't want me to. Not in the way I want to. She wants me to have a life, so I won't be alone after she's gone. She won't be gone. The experimental treatment will succeed and she will live to grow old with me, I'm sure of that. I have to be. 

"Jay, please go home, I'll be alright", she tells me, but I know she won't. Every time she has this bad dream, I wake her up and take her into my arms. It's the only way she calms down, and even then it's hard. It gets harder every time, it takes longer for her to settle down. 

"You're having your first treatment tomorrow, so no. I don't want to be late and I want to be near you. You know how edgy I get if I'm not here", I admit to her in all honesty. We look at each other and she sighs while shaking her head. She's been doing that a lot lately. 

"Fine, but I don't feel good if you sleep on there again", she pats on the space next to her in bed. I'm not letting her tell me twice because it's the first time she's asked me to do anything for her. We both know this is for her and not me. 

The second I get into the bed with her, she entangles out legs and wraps her arms around me. My arms snake around her waist and pull her up a little so she can rest her head on my chest. She settles in and closes her eyes. I can hear her breathing flatten en getting deeper every second. This is the fastest she's slept ever since she's been here. I kiss the top of her head, on her hair, and close my eyes as well. It'll be the most comfortable place I've slept in all week. Sleep takes me away too, careful not to disturb the girl resting inside my arms. 

It's the middle of the night and I can feel Yeri twisting in my arms. She's sweating like a madman and muttering things under breath. Then her eyes fly open and she sits upright, having trouble breathing. 

"In through your nose, out through your mouth", I whisper in her ear while rubbing my right hand over her back to soothe her. She tries, but the panic attack doesn't subside. "Baby, I'm here, there's nothing to be afraid of. Everything will be okay." 

At this she calms down a little, enough to come back to my arms. I rest my chin on the top of her head while my right hand strokes down her hair. "Shhh, I'm here." 

Her breathing evens out again as she moves to look up at me. Her eyes are watery and she looks so fragile. She never looks like this, somehow she's managed to stay strong, the Yeri I know. This is a different side of her, one she doesn't let out too much. it's gone before I even know it too. She closes her eyes and when she opens them, she seems more collected.

"Please tell me what they are about", I plead with her, but she shakes her head furiously. Without saying another word she nestles into me again to sleep. This time she doesn't wake up in a panic attack, the only thing I can't do is find sleep myself. Yeri is so peaceful, but my heart is still in an uproar, it's like they're having a party down there. I have to calm down. Looking at Yeri is not doing me any good so I close my eyes. 

Sleep never comes. 

Yeri's POV

Today is the day, the first day of my new treatment. Jay and I are equally nervous about everything, but I know for a fact he is excited too. It'll be a new step for the both of us. He guides me to the new room where they'll be doing some tests before slipping me the new drug. The tests all come out well and they give me my first bag of fluids with the drug mixed in. At first I don't feel anything, but after a while I feel a little nauseous. It's hard to concentrate, but Jay stays by my side to hold my hand the whole time. I try to hold on and not look bad in front of him. If he knows how this makes me feel, he'll stop me from ever trying again. And I'm not giving up.