Sparkles and Red Lace

Start from the beginning

“I still find it hard to believe that you are going to prom with my cousin.” 

I know if most people heard that, they might be offended, but I get what she means. At the beginning of the year Seth and I still hated each other. Even though it was only a couple of months ago, it seems like a lifetime. He is such a huge part of my life now, it is hard thinking of a time when we weren’t together. 

“I’m really happy for you guys,” she  says to me. Vi has a smile on her face, but I can see the sadness hidden underneath. Over the past several months, the sadness that I can sense underneath her bubbly personality has become more and more noticeable. I know why, but every time I bring it up, she shoots me down.

“I’m sure that if you asked Tuckett, he would jump at the chance to go to prom with you,” I say quietly. Vi tries to act casual, but from the way her body tenses up, I know that what I’ve said has bothered her.

“If he wanted to go with me, he would have asked,” Vi whispers. “Besides Micah said he would take me as friends. His date canceled last minute and I don’t want to back  out on him now.” 

“Vi-”

“Low, please . . . stop.” The pain behind Vi’s eyes is flaring and I quickly shut my mouth. 

“I’m sorry,” I whisper. “I just don’t like to see you like this.”

“I know,” she says and lets out a loud sigh. “I just don’t want to talk about it anymore.”

I nod and take her hand in mine. She squeezes my hand tightly, like I am going to get rid of all of her pain. I squeeze her hand back and try to think of a way to help my best friend without making everything worse.

The day of prom, seniors are dismissed early. Vi and I quickly race back to my house to get ready. I shower and blow dry my hair first since my hair is longer and then sit down on my bed while Vi works her magic. My blonde and turquoise waves are soon transformed into blonde and turquoise curls which are pinned up into a loose bun at the back of my head. Vi then showers and I straighten her pink hair so it slightly edgier than it normally looks. She then does my makeup. My eyes are soon transformed with dark brown eyeshadow that makes the color of my eyes stand out. Nude lipstick is applied to my lips and I am satisfied with the results. On Vi, I apply the ever so effective smoky eye and pink lipstick that matches her hair. We slide on our dresses and shoes carefully and we are finished. By that time there are only fifteen minutes before the guys get here. 

The time soon passes and Lizard comes sprinting up the stairs screaming that Seth and Micah are here. Vi makes me wait at the top of the stairs so there will be a more dramatic effect when Seth sees me. She quickly goes down the stairs and then calls my name up. 

I take a quick breath and quickly push aside the anxiousness I am feeling. 

Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out.

I finally reach the top of the stairs and make my way down. I force myself not to look and Seth and to focus on where I am walking until I make it to the bottom of the stairs. I would be mortified if I fell.

When I look up at Seth, I am shocked.

Gone are the leather jackets and ripped jeans. The man standing in front of me looks amazing in the black suit and red tie that he is wearing. My eyes travel over him hungrily before moving up to his face. 

Seth’s eyes are wide and his mouth is slightly agape. Vi elbows him in the stomach and he quickly tries to stop staring. He swallows nervously and I feel amazing. I have accomplished the rare event of making Seth Ryker speechless.