Hours and Days

Hey guys!!! So sorry about not updating lately. I have been sucked into Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instrument and the Infernal Devices series. If you have not read them, please do! They are absolutely amazing. 

Thank you guys so much for all of the reads, comments, and likes. I really appreciate it. I Hate You . . . I Think is coming to a close within the next couple of chapters and I am so thankful for all of the support on my first book. Please look for my next book, The Edict, which will be appearing on wattpad shortly. 

So, the song for this chapter is Cold Flame, by Band of Skulls. I thought it went well with the heartbreak Seth is going through right now. Please read, comment, like, and recommend! Thank You!!!!

Chapter 35: Hours and Days

Seth

I wake up the next morning when a knock comes on the door. A nurse pops her head in and smiles at me. She looks only a couple of years older than Low. 

“Good morning,” she says in a light, cheerful voice as she makes her way around the hospital bed and over to Low’s side where her heart monitor is. I want to yell at her and say that there is nothing good about today, but I hold myself back. Instead I give her what I’m sure is a grimace and slouch back into my seat. I rub my thumb across the back of Low’s hand which I have been holding from the night before.

I look around the room and see that Low’s dad is no longer in here. That fact lets me relax a little and I slide down in my chair. I rub my hands over my face and let out a sigh.

“Is she your girlfriend?”

I look up at the nurse who is attaching a new back of liquid to Low’s IV. She smiles at me and I resist the urge to snap at her.

“Yeah,” I mumble quietly. I turn my eyes back to Low’s face and clench her hand in mine a little tighter. The nurse continues moving around Low’s side, making notes on a clipboard and adjusting tubes coming from Low. Finally she makes her way to the door and is leaving when she turns back to look at me.

“She’s really lucky to have someone like you with her right now.” With that, the nurse turns and disappears out the door. I know he is trying to be kind, but she just said the worst possible thing.

Anger is flooding through my body. In no way am I lucky for Low. It’s my fault that she is lying here in the first place. My hands squeeze into fists and I have to resist the urge to punch the wall. There is no way I am letting security take me one step out of this fucking hotel room. I stand up and stretch my arms and legs before settling back into the chair.

Fifteen minutes pass before the door opens again. Mr. Riley comes back into the room. 

“Hey, you’re up.”

He reaches over and hands me one of the two coffee cups in his hand. He also passes me a brown bag which has a donut inside. I take a sip of the coffee before placing it down on the counter next to me. I can’t even look at the donut without feeling like I am going to throw up, so I slide it under my chair. 

“Thanks for this Mr. Riley.”

He stares at me for a second.

“You know after what you did yesterday, I think you’ve earned the right to call me David.”

“What I did yesterday?”

“You were there for both of my daughters when their mom and I couldn’t be. I appreciate it more than you know.”

I manage to return the sad smile that he sends at me. I relax into my chair knowing that David is not going to yell at me for what my bastard of a father did.