Politeness and Cup Cakes

Here’s chapter 14! Thanks to everyone who is reading! You guys are amazing! Please read and vote! The song for this chapter is Mountain Man by Crash Kings. - - - - - - - - --  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chapter 14: Politeness and Cup Cakes

Seth

When my alarm wakes me up in the morning, I immediately get out of bed. I pull on jeans, a black t-shirt, shoes, and a hoodie before going to the kitchen. My mom is already in there, cooking eggs and bacon. She turns around with a pan in her hand, getting ready to place the eggs onto a plate when she sees me standing at the door.

“Oh my god Seth,” she says and jumps slightly, placing a hand over her heart and breathing heavily. “What are you doing up so early?” she asks. “Usually I have to bug you at least a half an hour before you even consider getting up.”

“Um, well I have to pick someone up from school today.” I sit at the table and squirt some ketchup onto my plate before dipping my eggs in it. I take a bite and try to keep the smile from splitting onto my lips, but it doesn’t really last.

“What are you so happy about?” Mom asks when she notices my small smile.

“Nothing!” I hope that she will just let the subject drop but by the way she raises her eyebrows I know that she knows I am lying. “Fine, I’m um, going to pick Low up for school today.”

Mom slams her coffee cup onto the table and plops down in the chair across from mine. She throws her arms over the table like she was bracing herself for my answer.

“I was right?!” she squeals.

“God Mom. Yes okay, you were right. So, I asked her if she wanted a ride to school this morning and she said yes.”

“So are you going to take her out on a date?” she asks. I don’t think that I have seen her this excited since she found a new apple pie recipe that she liked online because it had some crumbly layer in the middle along with some special apple sauce.

“Um, yeah tonight actually.”

This time she lets out a small shriek, claps her hands together, and jumps up and down slightly in her seat.

“Mom, please stop!”

“Okay, okay, I’m sorry! I’ll stop.” She sips her coffee and is only silent for a few seconds. “But remember to bring her flowers-”

“Mom.”

“-hold open the door for her-”

“Mom!”

“-and for god sakes be polite!”

“MOM!”

“Okay, okay, I know! I’m sorry! I’ll be quiet now.” She holds her hands up in defeat and then gets up from the table, walking back to the stove to flip the sizzling bacon. I eat the rest of my food before brushing my teeth, grabbing my backpack and heading out the door.

“Bye mom,” I call out as I leave.

“Remember to be a gentleman!” she yells out before I am able to shut the door. God my mom is insane. 

On the twenty minute drive to Low’s house I try to stay calm. I don’t know why the hell I am nervous, but there is no way that I will ever tell that girl that she makes me sweat. I would never hear the end of it.