Horror and Paralyzed

Okay guys, so I’m not really sure how I feel about this chapter, but I’m putting it up anyway. The song for this chapter is All This Time by OneRepublic. Please check out the song!!! I absolutely love it.

Thank you guys so much for all of the votes and reads!!! You guys amaze me. Also, check out the end of the chapter for a challenge for all my readers.

Please read, vote, comment, and recommend! Thanks!!!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- 

Chapter 34: Horror and Paralyzed

Vi

You know those people who are constantly biting their nails? Well, I’ve always thought of it as the most disgusting habit. I mean, their nails become jagged and their fingers are covered in spit. I get shivers down my spine just thinking about it. 

Then why the hell am I biting my finger nails like they’re candy?

Because it’s the only thing that is keeping me from breaking down into tears. 

I pace back in forth in the waiting room of the hospital, waiting for my cousin to come back from my best friend’s hospital room so I can go up and see her. Her mom is silently crying in her chair while rocking Lexi back and forth as she sits on her lap. Low’s dad is staring at the wall with a completely blank look on his face. Both my parents and Arty are talking amongst each other quietly. About what? I don’t know and I don’t care. 

As I pace back and forth the person I am most aware of is tracing me with his eyes. Tuckett doesn’t say a word but is watching me like he knows I am bout to fall apart at any second. 

It has been an hour since Seth disappeared upstairs and this time spent waiting is killing me. I’m seriously thinking about marching over to the nurse’s desk and demanding her to let me go see my best friend when I hear a ding. I swing around to see the elevator door open letting my cousin and aunt step out. Everyone in our small group turns their attention toward the two of them. 

Seth’s hair is sticking straight up, like he has ran his hands through it too many times. The thing that frightens me the most is that his eyes are red from crying. He walks directly past all of us and out the sliding doors till he is outside. He sits down on the bench and runs his hands through his hair before leaning his head down into his hands which are propped on his knees.

“He just needs a minute,” Aunt Krista whispers. I can see the sadness on my aunt’s face from seeing her son in so much pain. I pull my face away from both of them and turn to David and Alice. 

“Can I see her now?” I ask them. David doesn’t say anything, and just continues staring at the wall. Alice’s sad eyes meet mine before she nods.

I turn around and try to force my feet to move toward the elevator, but they won’t go. I don’t want to go up there and face the reality of what is happening to my best friend alone. Tuckett may be a huge pain in my ass, but I need someone with me right now. I grab his hand and pull him to the elevator with me.

“What are you-”

“Just shut up,” I say quietly. 

I can feel his eyes on the side of my face, but I ignore it. We step into the elevator and head up to Low’s room. 

The sight of my best friend lying on the hospital bed is something that I don’t think I will ever forget. 

My knees are weak, but I don’t want to sit in the chair. I like my spot halfway to the door where I have a quick escape. I feel the sobs rising in my throat. I try to push them away. I try to be strong for my best friend. I mean, seriously, she’s the one who is in a coma, not me. Even if Low is awake, I don’t want her to know that I broke down.