Engines and Lyrics

Hey guys! So this is the first chapter that I thought of when writing this book. Hope you like it. Please leave a comment! The song for this chapter is Kiss You Inside Out which is also Low and Seth’s theme song.  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chapter 3: Engines and Lyrics

Low

The first week of school passed quickly. I had six classes a day and then after school I picked up Lizard and watched her until my mom got home from the hospital or until I had to take her to dance class. My dad is a pilot and would not be home for another week. Even then, he will probably be gone in a couple of days. Since my dad is gone so often, I am my mom’s go to babysitter. I miss him like crazy, but I know that there is nothing I can do about it. It’s his job and he loves it. 

I had a couple of quizzes this week. You know the lame ones that the mean teachers give you even though you haven’t learned anything yet? We also started our baking unit in home ec. Next Monday we are supposed to make a cake. Hopefully Seth can stop being an ass long enough to actually help.

It’s Friday afternoon and I am helping Lizard get ready for dance. She pulls on her tights and leotard while I twist her blonde hair into a bun.  I stick the bobby pins into her hair and then tie a purple bow around it. When it is time to leave, she buckles up in her carseat and we drive across town to Maria’s Ballerinas, her dance studio.

I walk her in and drop her off. A lot of other moms sit in the waiting room and watch and I can’t help but feel a bit sad for my sister because our mom works a lot and does not always get to spend a lot of time with Lizard. 

“Remember, Mom will pick you up, okay?” I ask her while helping her slip on her ballet shoes.

“Mmhm.”

“Okay, see you later Lizard.” She squeezes me around my waist and runs into her class.

I walk outside and start the twenty minute drive home. After five minutes, Betsy lurches and begins to sputter.

“Oh come on, no. NO!”

She lets out one final groan as I pull onto the side of the road and come to a complete stop. I moan in annoyance and let my forehead fall against the steering wheel. I don’t know how long I sit there for as I curse my car for quitting on me. My phone is dead so there is no one that I can call right now to come and get me.

I am stranded on the freaking side of the road. 

Perfect.

It is dark outside, I can’t call anyone, and I am a sitting duck inside my broken down car. Life really does suck sometimes.

I am still moaning in my car when there is a knock on my window. I scream and jump in my seat, praying that whoever knocking is not a murderer, and if he is, then I hope to god that a bear will come out of the forest and pull him away. 

Laughter comes from outside my car door. A laugh that I recognize. 

Please let this be a dream.

Seth is standing there with his left hand bracing himself as he laughs at me with one eyebrow raised. Man, I hope that bear is coming.

He taps on the window again and mouths to unlock the door. I seriously consider flipping him the bird and leave it at that, but the thought of being stuck on the side of the road all night has me opening the door.