Chapter 23; "The Lions Den" part 2

Sophia in media 💛

Lion's Den (noun)
     "a place or situation in which someone must deal with an angry person or group of people".

Previously on The Only Woman

"Um", I say clearing my throat. "I'm going to court to get Laila back".

Kayla and Mom were silent for a second. They looked at one another and then back at me.

"What?", I ask lowering my eyebrows. "You guys aren't happy for me?".

They look at each other once more like they were trying to decide who should speak.

"I think that Kayla should take full custody of Laila", My mom says taking a deep breath.

"Why?", I snap.

"You're not fit to be a mother right now", Kayla joins in.

"What the hell do you mean?", I ask.

"Look, don't get offended babygirl. We just feel like you're not ready", mom explains.

"In fact... You were never ready", Kayla says. "Did you lay down and get pregnant because I was?".

********

Kennedy's POV

((Kennedy's Apartment// Friday , 7:55am))

As I waited for my coffee to brew , I leaned against the counter. Today was the day Child Services come to check my home. They have to make sure it's a safe environment for my daughter to be in.

My week started off kind of shaky but it all worked out in the end.

Well, Sort of.

The judge scheduled a date for me and my daughter ,along with a social worker. It bothered me that I had to be under supervision, but it's for my daughters own good.

Not like I'd hurt her.

we went to the park and had ice cream.

( FLASHBACK-- 2 days before)

"Mommy!", Laila says running toward me.

I drop my purse and my phone in the grass and take off running to my daughter. She ran right into my embrace.

I pick her up and swing her around dramatically like it's been years since I've held her.

When I set her back down to her feet I kneel down to her level.

"I missed you mommy", she says.

"I missed you more little nugget", I say pinching her cheek softly.

A woman wearing a fancy blouse and slacks walked up behind Laila.

"Hello, Ms.Jordan", the woman said. "Or would you prefer Mrs.Williams?".

The woman looked down at her clipboard while she spoke as if she was trying to remember my name.

I remember when Malik and I got married , I changed my name to Kennedy Jordan-Williams because I didn't want to give up my fathers name.

"Either one is fine", I say softly.

"Well, My name is Mrs.Smith".

"Nice to meet you", I say nervously.