Chapter 12; Brat

Pic of Kenny in the media 💖

Kennedy's POV

"I told Ms.Laila that you were out of the hospital", Mom said to me.

"She knew I was in the hospital?".

"Of course", she says. "She was worried about you and her grand daughter".

"Oh mama. She has high blood pressure . I don't want to worry that woman", I say shaking my head.

"Well you need to go see her", she demands.

She held my niece Tay in her arms and she rocked her slowly. It was her nap time .

Ms.Laila is Malik's mother if you don't remember. I haven't seen her in so long. It might have been 2 years. Me and Ms.Laila used to be so close . I love that woman. I named my daughter after her.

It was Around 11:00 a.m. . I believe. I came over my Mom's house for breakfast and I haven't left yet . Laila was playing with Thai and Kayla was on the couch talking to Tyrese on the phone.

"Head over there... You can Take Laila to see her grandma", mom said .

"Right now?".

"Yes. She called me this morning asking about you. She said she hasn't seen you . She was expecting to when you got out".

I have my reasons why I didn't go see her. I always think about her . As well as her son. But I couldn't bring myself to speak to her . I couldn't even look at her . She reminded me so much of him. Her house was like a time capsule . Every memory lives in that place. She lived in that house since me and Liki were in school.

"You need to see her", mom says as if she could read my mind. "Malik would want you to".

I sigh. I guess I'll go.

"Fine", I say. "Laila baby! Come on".

"Where are we going?", Laila asks . She was sitting on the living room floor playing with Barbie dolls. Thai was building the Barbie a Lego house.

"Were gonna go see Nana Lay", I say.

"Really?", she asks in disbelief.

"Yes. Now come on", I say.

Laila remembers her . Not clearly , but she does . Last time she seen her , she was 3 years old. Laila turns 5 in 2 weeks.

I grab Laila's jordans and slip them on her feet. I was working on teaching her how to tie her shoe , but she hasn't managed to get it right. I tie her laces for her and stand her up.

"I'll get it soon", she says with a sigh.

It's amazing how much she's grown. My baby is getting big. She's going to be 5. I cant believe it .

I still didn't have custody of Laila. But I have a meeting about it sometime this week. I'm waiting for my baby to come home with me again.

On The car ride to Laila's house I felt like I was going to have an anxiety attack. I roll the window down and take deep breaths

"Can we listen to the radio?", I heard Laila ask from the back seat.

"Um...yeah", I say still trying to catch my breath.

I turn on the radio.

"Alright , Alright , Alright ", the radio personality yells. "Alrighhhht. The beautiful city of Toronto . We've gotten request for this one. So imma give ya what ya want... Coming up next is a track by Torontos own!...."