Everybody has a thing

----------------------------------

Shannon's POV
I text Mom after kissing Cammie goodbye inside my car parked outside her house.

"I'll see you tomorrow." I yell outside my window.

"Have fun tonight." She yells grinning at me.

"Oh, I will." I smirk.

"Love you." She whispers trying not to project her voice.

"Love you too." I whisper back as she walks up the pathway.

"Hey I'll just drive home now and pick you up." I text Mom, blowing a kiss back at Cammie at her front door.

"Okay, I'll quickly get ready!" She replies as I take off back home.

'I know I don't spend much time with her, but I'm really dreading tonight. Casey has the perfect life and a better connect with Mom. She's at college, she has a boyfriend, her future is falling into place, then there's me. I guess I just don't want to disappoint her. I feel like this is the time to tell her what's going on with Cammie.  She loves Ness so it's likely she will accept me. Yet she might just like the fact that she doesn't have to deal with a child that likes girls.'

I arrive home and park outside my house. I toot a couple of times waiting around for ten minutes already. I watch as Mom locks up the door and hops into my passengers seat.

"Took your time." I say taking off quickly to the restaurant.

"Sorry, I was fixing my make up." She say checking herself in the mirror again.

"You look young as ever Mom." I smirk and she can't help but laugh.

"Why thank you Shannon." She grins  studying my car.

"Haven't been for a ride in this thing in awhile." She says looking at how tidy the inside of my car is. 'Honestly I feel quiet proud of my cleanliness.'

"I know! Well there's been no need since you have your own." I laugh but she just smiles at me. I already feel the disconnection between us.

We stay silence for the rest of the ride unable to make small talk. I park out the back of the restaurant and we walk in following the pathway lights.

"Table for two?" Mom asks a man holding a jug of water.

"Right this way!" He says checking the book before direction us outside to a patio. The patio is sheltered by a short veranda. It is covered with fairy lights around each post and each table has its own large candle, just enough light to see what we're eating.

"Thank you." She says, taking a seat half beside me.

We order quickly and joke a lot. Surprisingly the night goes better than expected. Mom found a bug on the table and blew it directly at me right when the waitress came to collect our plates. I swear everyone inside the restaurant  heard me scream like a little girl. We both had a laughing  fit which almost gave me a new set of abs.

After a filling dinner we ordered coffees which gets me to thinking. 'This would be the perfect time to tell her. We haven't talked like this in months after leaving dad. It feels so nice just to see her happy again. I'm grateful that everyone outside the restaurant on the patio had left early, leaving Mum and I all to ourselves.'