Chapter 13 {{~Back To The Beginning~}}

(MICHELLE'S POV)

It was quiet, I heard no sounds expect for my breathing, and I was lying in my bed, but couldn’t fall asleep, though you could clearly see the tiredness on my face.

The room was as black as it could be, with only moonlight shining in rivulets through the window.

I looked beside my bed on the floor were Benjy was lying peacefully asleep.

Poor baby, he wouldn’t stop barking, he must have really been angry at mom.

Mom.... I furrowed my eyebrows as I took in what happened a few hours ago.

She was crying. I have never seen her cry before or at least in front of me like that.

Though for some reason, when she looked right into my eyes I had the feeling that it was my entire fault, and I felt guilty...

That's why I took the hit, someone was telling me I deserved it, and maybe I did.

I licked my bottom lip slowly but stopped right away as a sting of pain was felt.

I hope it’s not a deep cut. 

A small yawn escaped my mouth as I could feel my eyes drooping to a close.

All I ask for now is a peaceful sleep, that’s the only place I feel safe at the moment.

Minutes passed. My eyes were closed but I could still feel myself awake.

Suddenly my body froze as I heard footsteps in the hall. The floorboards creaked, sending chills down my spine.

Did mom wake up? Wasn’t she sleeping? I didn’t even hear her walk out of her room.

Maybe I didn’t notice she slipped out of her room?

I started listening to the footsteps that were becoming louder and louder.

My mind was telling me its mom but my body was telling me it was someone else.

My eyes were now wide open but I didn’t dare look at the door of my room, I didn’t had the courage, felt like if I did, my biggest fear would show or pop out any minute.

I could feel a small shiver running through my body thinking about my fear.

Breathing out some air, I looked at the moon out of my window on the left side, trying to think of something else then rather knowing that someone was in the hall.

The footsteps stopped. All I could hear now was my heart beat pounding in my ears and going wildly out of control/

I swallowed and closed my eyes tightly, trying to calm myself.

Taking deep breathes, my heartbeat started to slow down until I could feel my body relax again.

I concentrated on my breathing and I could feel myself drift away to a sleep.

Suddenly, my nose caught something; I smelled smoke.... or cigarettes.

It must have been mom then, she would’ve gone downstairs to take a smoke.

I tried to ignore the scent but it got stronger every minute.

I started to concentrate on my breathing again but something shocked me that made me squeeze my eyes more shut.

I couldn’t concentrate on my breathing because I was hearing someone else breathing too.

My body froze as smoke wafted into my face, the cigarette smell so strong that I was felt like I was going to choke.