minor roadblocks

"Holy shit, these milkshakes are good."

Steven's pleasantly surprised by this. It wasn't exactly that he expected them to be bad, but he surely hadn't planned on it being this good. Plus there was a nice amount of whipped cream on top, and there was a damn good-looking cherry, all in all it was a really, really good shake.

"Steven, stop staring at the shake like that. You can't marry a milkshake," John says with a laugh.

Steven looks at him for a moment, before turning away with a faint blush on his cheeks. "But it's a good shake..."

Tom and Minx both laugh, Minx folding her arms. She looks at Anthony and smirks. "Hey, Anthony, how long are you gonna be staring at Steven? You know you gotta blink, right?"

Anthony jumps, like a kid who's been caught with his hand in the cookie jar. He looks away from Steven, and turns to face the window, his face growing redder by the second.

Tom and John are both in hysterics, laughing so hard Steven is surprised they can still breathe.

"I, uh, I.... Fuck, you-you're supposed to let me explain myself! Hold on, j-just let me explain!" Anthony could probably pass for a tomato by now, and he's waving his arms around for whatever reason.

Tom shakes his head, trying to catch some kind of breath without laughing. He grins at Anthony, gesturing towards Steven. "Go ahead then, Chilled! Explain yourself."

Chilled? That's a funny nickname. Where'd they get that one from?

Anthony's stuttering and tripping over his own words. He's also refusing to look at Steven now, instead intent on 'explaining' himself to the others.

Steven felt like he didn't belong here.  He hardly knows anybody here, he's hot and cramped in between Anthony and Minx, and suddenly Anthony is refusing to even acknowledge his presence.

The shakes were good, yes, but Steven was fully prepared to go home now. Things were awkward, and he felt like he was being forced to sit and watch Tom and John flirt with each other.

Minx chuckles and gives Anthony a smirk. "So what you're saying is that you're staring at Steven because he looks weird? Jesus, Chilled. You're harsh."

Does he not like me or something? He's always looking at me funny and he acts different when I'm around.

Or maybe I  just worry too much? I don't know.

"Hey, you okay?" John's got a worried look on his face as he gazes over at Steven.

"Yeah... Just tired, I guess. Was up too late last night." Steven shifts in his seat, finding himself unable to look at John in the eyes.

Minx pats his back, and smiles warmly. She nods at the others, and then turns back to Steven. "I'll take him home, alright?  It was nice chatting with you guys."

Steven waves a small goodbye to the others, as Minx walks him out of the building. They've hardly gotten into Minx's car when she turns to him and gives him a very stern look.

"Something's up. What is it?"

Steven is stunned, to say the least. He's only known her for four days, and she's acting like she's known him for years. It's odd, to say the least.

"N-nothing's up. I'm just tired."

"You're a terrible liar, Stevie." Minx turns the car on, and begins to back out of the parking spot.

Steven huffs and gives her the best glare he can. "Don't call me that," he grumbles, doing his best to sound serious.

I'm so fucking bad at being angry. Maybe I can just give her pissed off looks until she lets me go.