least favorite thing

Moving was never Steven's favorite thing.

When you moved, you were dragged into a brand new place, with new people and new faces you had to adjust to. Not all of these people were nice, and when you consider Steven's social skills, it was amazing he managed to get by at all.

New places also meant new sights, and new sights usually had new smells to them too. There was a time when Steven's room had smelled like dusty old books because the house had been so old, and there had also been a time when Steven's room faced the sun, so every morning he woke up half blinded by the light.

This new place, however, did not seem all too welcoming. The house was a weird pale yellow, and Steven's new room smelled like vanilla for whatever reason. It wasn't a bad smell, but it sure as hell gave him a headache after the first ten hours.

And now, Steven was off to school with a headache and what was (probably) not enough sleep.

.

"Okay, everyone, Steven is new here. He'll be joining us from now on. Be nice to him for me, please. Adam, raise your hand so he knows where to sit."

Steven quietly headed to the back, where he was met with a boy grinning up at him. The boy had light brown hair, and a little glint in his eyes that made Steven worry about what he might have planned. Of course, Steven had no choice but to sit next to him, regardless as to if he wanted to or not.

So, Steven did. He sat down and made himself as comfortable as he could in the bright, cold classroom and was quickly met with a sheet of paper being slid in front of him.

"This is what we're doing today. You any good at math?" Adam is grinning and eyeing Steven curiously.

Steven has no choice but to shrug and nod. "I guess, I mean. I'm not horrible, but there's probably better..."

Adam giggles, this man fucking giggled like a dolphin before patting his back and saying, "Well, anybody's better than me, so good enough! Can you show me how to do number five- Oh!"

He pauses to giggle again and then points at Steven's schedule. "What classes do you have? I could totally show you around, dude! Well, I mean, if we have classes together, then I could."

His enthusiasm is enough to make Steven smile and nod, handing Adam the paper.

Adam scans it over before beaming up at Steven.
"Dude, we basically have the entire day together!"

Steven smiles and nods gently. Adam seemed pretty nice, he really wouldn't mind staying with him for a while. But then again....

Adam was bound to have other friends. There's no way somebody like him wouldn't have any other friends. Would they be as nice as Adam? What if he was secretly an asshole and was just hiding it?

There was no way to tell, and all Steven could do was hope for the best as they headed off to their next class.

Second class of the day was music. That's not too bad, Steven thought. He could've had something worse, though he really wasn't sure what could be worse than something so simple.

Adam introduced him to his friend Max, and their other friend Michelle. She said to call her Minx, though. It didn't make too much of a difference to Steven, if he was being honest Minx suited her much better.

Next was history. Something important probably would've happened if Steven hadn't dozed off halfway through the class. Thankfully, the teacher seemed too absorbed in his lecture to really give a shit.

Lunch was fine, despite the food being shitty.

"What do you mean there's nothing to eat? Do you not like cheeseburgers or something?" Max looked at Steven like he was crazy.

"The food's not bad here, you know," Minx says. She's also not eating, though Steven isn't sure if he should point that out.

Instead, he finds himself staring into his lap, attempting to fully hide himself in his jacket for the sole purpose of avoiding Max's question.

"I'm... I'm kinda- uh, I'm kinda a vegetarian..." His voice trails off, any confidence he had at the beginning completely gone as everything he says somehow turns into little mumbles.

Max just nods calmly, an apologetic look on his face. "Sorry. I, uh, I didn't really think of that."

Steven smiles in response.
"It's alright."

Adam opens his mouth to speak, but before he can speak the bell rings.

"Oh shit, was that the bell?" Max quickly gets up, gathering his stuff.

Adam frowns slightly, looking around before speaking, a very confused "Did Minx ditch us?"

Steven looks around, before giving a small shrug and a laugh. "I guess so, maybe she's just a good student and doesn't wanna make new kids late."

"Hey, hey, I did nothing of the sort." Adam's got a small smile on his face, and it's enough to make Steven smile back at him.

"You sure you're gonna be able to find the art room? It's kinda far from here. I can always walk you if you'd like. I could even get Max to do it-"

The sound of the cafeteria door closing was the only response Adam got.

Steven picked up his bag, smiles, and nods.

"I got it. Really. You should go, I don't want you to be late."

Steven is out the door before Adam can respond.

Art, art art. Where the hell could the art room be? Steven was staring down at his schedule as he walked, making sure he was in the right area.

Room 404. Shouldn't be that hard to find, and yet apparently it was. Why the fuck was the art room so weirdly located? Were they making paint bombs in there or something? What if the art room didn't even exist and this was some kind of trap?

Fucking hell, maybe Steven should've taken Adam's offer. The one class they didn't have together was the one class that apparently was impossible to find and-

"Oh, fuck!"

He just ran into somebody. Holy shit, Steven's luck is amazingly bad.

"Oh! I-I'm so, so sorry! I- uh, I...." Steven's voice trails off as he notices the person above him staring.

He runs his hand through his hair, and then decides that maybe he should pick up the other's papers. Especially since he seemed too busy staring.

The other guy is tall, and he has messy, messy hair hiding under a Mario hat.

He's also frantically picking up his papers, glancing over at Steven from time to time. It's a weird feeling, but something was oddly pleasing about the way he looked at Steven.

The boy, if Steven could really even call him that, mumbles a small "thank you," then is staring at Steven's back as he walks away.

That was weird.
That guy was weird.

But...
It was a nice weird, Steven decided.

The strange guy was on Steven's mind all through art, or at least whatever was left of it.