Chapter 57

Adriana's POV

Cris had come up to me, and then he ordered James to stop his tickling.

"Now, James. I think you should probably step away from Adri, and help her up," Cris ordered with a stern voice.

James did as he was told, fearing the worst.

"Adriana Messi, what do you think you are doing? I'm pretty sure you and James should stay away from one another. It is not appropriate for you to be rolling around on the ground with him," He said in a stern voice.

"Sheesh. When did you become my dad?" I grumbled.

"Look, Adriana. You have known me for longer than you've known your actual dad. No, I'm not your dad, but I am the most important male figure in your life. So, I suggest that you get up, listen, and actually pay attention to me instead of James. You're my girl, right Adri?" He asked taking a step towards me, but I took a step back.

"No. Not right. You are being possessive of me. You aren't the same fun loving Cris that I first met. Ever since we found out about my brother, you've been a bit of a loose cannon. We could have the best day together, or we could argue, and I'm sick and tired of it. Sure, I've known Cristiano Ronaldo for a longer time than my dad. I loved him. He was my Cris. But now, you are just Cristiano. You've changed. I've changed too. But it's not working," I said.

I took another step toward James.

"Now, stop being so possessive. I'm a free spirit, and I always have been. I used to be just an ordinary little girl on the streets, but now I have a name. A reputation. Another identity. I've changed. You have too. It just doesn't work as well as it used to," I said, seeing the sadness in his face.

"So that's it then? We're done? Are you breaking up with me? After 4 years? I'm now just another ex? Is that it? Are you dumping me for my best friend? Is that it? Was it the dirty Colombian?" He said, rage blossoming on his face.

"No," I tried to say, but I was interrupted.

"I bet you two have been seeing each other behind my back for a long time. So, when did it start? When was I no longer good enough for you?" He asked.

"Are you kidding me?" I yelled at him. "You think I would cheat on you? Who do you think I am?"

"Not my little, Adri. That's for sure," He said sadly. "You are no longer allowed to come to my practices anymore. I don't want to see your face anymore."

"I'm on your team, smart one," I said while rolling my eyes.

Meanwhile, James was standing in shock next to me. His jaw was dropped and his eyes threatened to spill tears.

"You think I would do that?" He asked Cris in disbelief.

"I don't know any of you guys anymore," He said sadly, then he walked away.

And that was when I broke down. All tears started flowing, and all I know is that James followed me and rubbed my back.

"It's okay Adri. We can come back to my place and I will cheer you up. Okay?" He said calmly.

"Okay,"  I said.

He then took me to his car and drove me home, tears soaking my shirt.

He brought me inside and set me on the couch, popping in a movie.

"Give me a sec to get the cheeseballs. I know those are your favorite," He said, then walked off to get my favorite snack from the kitchen.

He returned with a huge jug of cheese balls, which brought a little smile to my face.

He then undid the lid and handed me a few, which I stuffed in my cheeks like a chipmunk.

"So, apparently, you are a chipmunk now?" Asked James, cracking a smile, but I just stuck out my tongue at him. My cheesy, orange tongue.

After swallowing, I spoke. "I can be anything that I want to be."

"Sure. And I am a leopard," said James.

That gave me an idea. The cheese ball powder was orange, and his hair was black. So if I threw enough cheese balls into his hair, he would look somewhat like a leopard. I would prove him wrong and be able to chuck food at him. Win-win.

"Can I have a bowl?" I asked, needing a place to keep my ammunition.

"Sure, I guess," said James with a slightly confused face. He knew something was up.

He got up and returned with a plastic bowl, and I have no idea why he would own something like that, but he did.

"Here you go," he said, handing me the bowl and sitting back down on the couch. "Adri, why do yo have an evil glint in your eyes?"

"I have a what?" I asked, trying to act innocent.

"Nothing. Never mind. I thought you might have been plotting something, but I just realized you wouldn't in a time like this," he said, looking shamefully down at his feet.

But he couldn't be more wrong. I was plotting something.

He kept looking down as I helped myself to some cheese balls, and still as I sat back down with my bowl. I picked up one and took a careful aim for his head, closing one eye to assist my accuracy.

I chucked it at his head, and then it stuck, right in the middle of his gelled hair. An orange ball in a sea of black spikey hair.

"What was that?" He asked, looking up suddenly, but the cheese ball stuck.

Trying to contain my laughter, I put my head behind a blanket. "What was what?" I said, hoping he would buy my innocence for just a little longer.

"Nothing. I thought I felt something in my hair," he said, brushing his hand through his hair, and then his fingers discovered the little cheese ball that had lodged itself in his hair. "I wonder how this got here," he mumbled, then went back to the movie.

I then took aim, hoping that I could manage another little thing like that, but this time, I wasn't so lucky. I took aim, fired, but it bounced off James's nose instead.

I almost died of trying to contain my laughter.

"Adri, that wasn't you, was it?" He said, his voice dangerously calm.

"No," I said, but I was grinning like a lunatic. "Maybe."

"This calls for war!" James yelled, and his arms started swinging like catapults, launching cheese balls at me, and I, in return, started pelting him as well.

But, my little bowl ran out quickly.

"Abort mission!" I yelled, shielding my head from projectiles. "Abort! Abort!"

I ran behind the couch, hoping to grab the giant container of cheese balls that contained James's ammo. I missed the first time, and then turned around for a second fly by. This time, though, I wasn't going for his ammo. I was going to take us both out.

I got a running head start, then hurdled over the back of the couch.

"Bodyslam!" I yelled, flattening him beneath me, the cheese ball container rolling out of his reach.

"Nooooooo!" He yelled, reaching for the little orange puff balls.

"I've got you!" I exclaimed triumphantly, using my arms and legs to pin him down.

Just as I was about to launch the tickle attack of destruction, the doorbell rang.

The sounds echoed through the house, only to be greeted by the sound of the movie playing in the background.

James whispered a word to me, but I didn't need to be told.

"Hide."