Chapter 9

Adriana's POV

I woke up to the insistent beeping of my alarm clock.

I looked at the time. 4:15. I wasn't going to have breakfast because I did not want to cramp up while running.

I went to the bathroom and splashed some cold water on my face. Not very pleasant at the time, but efficient.

I threw on a sports bra, a razorback sleeveless shirt, and matching yoga pants, grabbed my phone, and headed outside.

Neymar was already there waiting for me. Wearing nothing but shorts. Oh well. Nothing I can do about it now.

"You ready to run?" He asked.

"Of course. Why do you think I came out here? To water flowers?" I responded.

"That would be hot. I mean, almost anything that you do would be hot. I bet your boyfriend doesn't tell you that, does he?" Neymar said.

"Actually," I responded, "He does send me cute little snippets and calls me cute. One of his favorite quotes that the media does not know about is one that goes like this; 'Hotness fades, but cuteness lasts a lifetime.' So there." I said. I don't know what is wrong with him. Does he not see that I am trying to just stay friends with him, or does he see right passed the disguise and see that I actually like him a little?

There was a moment of silence. I broke the silence by saying "So, what I normally like to do for my daily run is to run 5 miles at a five minute pace each, and then do some wind sprints. Is that too much for you?" I asked, almost in a teasing way.

"I'm sure that I will be able to keep up with a girl. I'll be fine. Just run your normal pace and I'll try to push you a little bit more and see if you can keep up with me. OK?" He asked.

I don't think that he quite grasps the idea that soccer is not 90 minutes of running, it is really only 50 minutes of sprinting and stopping. I wasn't going to tell him that.

I started jogging as my warm up. By definition, I started running slowly.

"I thought that you were faster than this. This pace has to be at least 9 minutes per mile." He said.

"Do you even run bro? This is called a warmup. You do it before you run so you don't hurt yourself." I said in the same kind of way a teacher would speak to a very small child.

"Cool!" He said. I gave him a confused look. Seriously. What goes on in this guy's brain. Never mind. I don't even want to know. "Yesterday I didn't know you. Then we became acquaintences. During our texting conversation we appeared to be friends. Now you're calling me your brother! Leo and Cris better watch out! They're going to be replaced!" He said with an enthusiastic smile.

"Yeah... No. Not happenning. If you even breath so much as a word of who I am dating, your life will be made miserable. I can even pull some strings and get you kicked off of your precious team. Would you like that?" I said. He really thought that I was going to like him? Not yet.

"Jeez girl. Chill out. I was just saying. At this rate, we are going to be dating in under a week!" He said.

I thought of my favorite way to shut someone up. Science. Silence him with science.

"You do realize that almost all things grow more when they are first starting out?" I said. Not the best argument, but all my brain would give me. I will probably think if something tonight at midnight.

"Name one thing that starts out really fast then slows down." He said.

"Babies. They grow really fast at first, then slow down." True fact.

I then realized I had made a grave mistake. Never mention babies to a man who is always flirting.

"So now you think of babies when you are around me? Interesting." He said while wiggling his eyebrows.

That gross son of a gun. I am going to... To... Kill him in some grusome way.

"No! You gross, dirty, annoying freak!" I yelled at him.

"But I am your gross, dirty, annoying freak." He responded, probably trying to be seductive.

I stopped to stretch. Then I would show him who is the better runner.

He basically attempted to copy all of my stretching, but during the quad stretch, he almost fell over. Seven times. In thirty seconds.

Then we started on the actual run. I took off pretty quickly, and when I did, Neymar smiled. In a few minutes he was going to find out how good I really was. I was a good runner. Nobody knew it yet.

After about two miles, Neymar started showing some signs of serious signs of being tired.

He had run out of energy to make smart comments, or so I had thought.

"How far are we? Seriously girl. You are running like you are preparing to steal a lot more hearts." He said. Seriously.

"That sounds like a cheesy pickup line that a drunk guy would use in a bar. Can't you think of something better?" I said. I wasn't going to date him, but I would give him advice for future use. For example, never call a girl anything that could be interpreted as offensive. You would think that guys could figure that out, but nope.

"Is this a challenge? Make me think of better pickup lines? Because I accept." He said.

"No, you idiot! I was just saying that you need help and you need to shut up." I said.

My phone went off. Who would be texting me at this hour?

I kept running and I pulled my phone out of my pocket and saw that Cris had texted me.

C- I have something I want u to do when you are with me.

A- ummm....

A- OK. What?

C- There's this new kid on the team, and he's really quiet but really good. I want you to get him to talk.

C- Not too hard, right?

A- Of course. Challenge accepted. Who is this kid anyway?

C- No one you have heard of. (I knew you would do this for me! :) )

A- Anything for you. But who is this kid?

C- He's like 15 and is Martin Ødegaard.

A- I've heard of him! The Norwegian star, right? Plays like Messi, is the next Ronaldo? I like him.

C- Yeah, that one. Can't wait to see you at the game in a couple days!

A- That's in 2 days, right?

C- Yeah. C u then. Love you💞💞

A- Love you too!💞💝💘💗💖💕

It was nearly impossible to text while running, but I managed. Neymar somehow managed to keep up the entire distance part of the run, but barely. In the sprints, I outdid him because I wasn't as tired.

"Nice job, girl. You have officially earned my respect for running, but I would not like to have my butt kicked on a daily basis. Maybe every Monday?" Neymar said.

"Fine. Mondays it is. See you at practice later!" I responded.

"Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" He yelled, making me laugh.

I jogged back to the house, took a shower, and went for breakfast. 6:00 and I have already had a pretty eventful day.

*Author's note* Yay! I updated! Martin Ødegaard is finally here!