Chapter 22

Adriana's POV

I woke up because of a constant beeping next to me. I opened my eyes, but quickly shut them because of the brightness.

"Ughhh... It's too early." I moaned and tried to pull the sheets over my head.

There was a rushing of footsteps, and a low murmur of voices.

"Mom. I'm already done with school. Go away." I said.

"No. It isn't your mom." Said a calm female voice.

I tried to open my eyes for the second time, and only after a lot of blinking, did I finally see where I was.

I was in a hospital.

"What? Why am I here?" I asked, looking around. Wasn't I supposed to be... on a soccer field? Maybe?

Lionel's POV

Emotions pulsed through me as I was taking shots on goal. What was going on with Adriana? Was she going to be okay? It had been a day now, and she was still unconscious. Do I really kick that hard? Did she hit her head on the goalpost?

Someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around immediately to find Neymar, who was also deeply affected by this whole ordeal.

"Leo! I called your name at least five times! You okay?" He asked me.

"You really think I am okay? My sister, one of the only reasons why I wake up in the morning, is in the hospital. Because of me. Don't you get it? She is my twin! I can't lose her again. You just think he would make a good girlfriend. She is my blood. She is me, but a girl. You wouldn't understand." I snapped at him with and anger. Why was he being so insensitive?

"OK. Sheesh. I just wanted to know if you wanted me to call a goalkeeper or something. If that's what you think of me, fine. I'll hang out with someone else." He said with his hands up, and then my best friend walked away.

"Neymar, wait. You know I care about you." I said to him, but he didn't appear to hear. Either that or he didn't care.

I might have just lost my best friend.

Neymar's POV

My phone buzzed. Probably Leo, apologizing for yelling at me.

But it kept on ringing. Even Leo wasn't this persistent.

I finally pulled out my phone, to see that it was not Leo. It was the hospital. Something happened with Adriana.

I bolted back to the field, knowing that Leo was not going to have his phone while he was taking shots on goal.

No matter what just happened between us, this was important. We both cared deeply for Adriana.

"Leo! Leo!" I yelled to him at the top of my lungs.

"Look, Neymar, I'm sorry about that whole... thing." He said while vaguely waving his hands around.

"Now isn't the time! We have to go!" I said and attempted to pull him towards the exit. For such a small guy, he was built, and when he didn't want to move, he wasn't moving.

I am also fairly sure he wanted to kill me at that moment.

"It's about Adriana!" I said desperately, and then he finally moved. I didn't expect him to move so suddenly, so when he did, I fell over. I quickly dusted myself off and ran for the car with my best friend who I had fought with no less than 2 minutes ago.

The car ride was agonizingly slow, with all of the traffic and stoplights, I was almost tempted to run to the hospital.

We finally got there after what seemed like an eternity, and I didn't realize that I would have to face a receptionist asking for my relationship to the patient.

And, man, let me tell you, this receptionist was either blind, didn't follow soccer, was a Madridista, or didn't care about me and Leo. Or a combination.

But, of course, everyone else in the hospital cared who we were. Family member visiting? Nope. Neymar and Messi in the main room.

"Patient name?" The receptionist who was an older lady who looked like a librarian asked.

"Adriana Messi," Leo said while I was trying not to fall over because of the slippery floors and my cleats.

"Relationship to the patient?" She asked in the most bored tone in the world. You could at least smile! This lady is probably going to be on the front page tomorrow.

"Twin brother," Leo said.

Then I am guessing she looked at me for a response, but I was focusing on grabbing the counter and not sliding around.

"Neymar," Leo whispered to me.

"Oh, uhh... Relationship to the patient? Right?" I asked and the receptionist nodded, clearly annoyed. I thought knowing I didn't look enough alike to be a family member, so I said the next best thing. "Long term boyfriend."

She clearly didn't like my answer, but told us the room anyway. Probably because of Leo being her twin.

I burst through the door, hoping she wasn't sleeping.

But thankfully, she wasn't. Her facial expression didn't change when she saw me and Leo enter, which confused me.

Inside, I panicked. Did she forget me? Couldn't things like that happen with brain injuries?

Then she said something that almost definitely confirmed my fears.

"Who are you?"

Unknown POV

I dialed the number that was permanently etched into my brain.

"Future star, golden boy, and Shorty are in the hospital. Commence operation 3.14?" I asked my boss. He knew exactly what I was talking about.

"Give it a few minutes. Are any others coming?" Boss asked.

"No. Not that I know of. Only Shorty and Golden boy were called. Just give me the word and I will go in with the team." I said back to him, itching to get back at the person in the hospital room.

"Soon. You will get your revenge soon."

*Sorry for taking so long to update! Between schoolwork and drama and soccer and running, I have a fairly tight schedule. I promise to update ASAP. If you know me IRL, feel free to bug me and remind me to update.*