6. Out my comfort zone

This week is going to be a very interesting week, the band banquet is going to be on Saturday, the same day as Haitian day. My school has this thing where they have a little assembly for all haitian students, but of course the non haitians want to go too so they lie and get a ticket to go. Last year the assembly was lame but this year I feel like it's going to be different.

During 5th period I sat in the patio with Ruth talking about the haitian assembly.

"So what time is this assembly?"

"Next period"

"oh so you not going to class"

"Yea I am the assemly don't start till like 20 minutes after the bell for 6th period"

"Oh ok come get me out  my class so we can walk together"

"Are we going to meet up with Cassandra over there?"

"Yea"

"Alright cool" The bell rung for us to go to sixth period I grabbed my things I started walking to class. When I got there I took a seat in my regurlar seat in the back, i read the board and seen that we were still working on the packet we started yesterday. I finished the last few pages before it was time to leave. A lady came on the intercom and announced that everyone who has a ticket or pass to please report to the big gym for the haitian day assembly. I packed my things and went downstairs to go get Ruth from her class.

"This better be live" She said walking out her classroom door

"I doubt it but I'm just happy to be out of class I hope this assembly last trough out 7th block so we can just go straight home afterward"

"Like forreal"

When we got to the big gym there was a crowd outside the door I figured those were people who didn't have tickets so me and Ruth found our way through the front of the crowd and got in real easily. We met up with Cassandra and a few other people I knew from band. As I looked around I seen firmiliar faces and unfirmiliar faces.

"Ohh somebody' man is here he aint even haitian" Cassandra said

"Theres a lot of people who isn't haitian that's here but who man you talking about?" I asked

"Your man" Ruth replied.

"Who the fuck are y'all talking about?" They pointed to a section beside us where I seen most of percussion people sitting and I figured they was talking about Paul. "That's not my man y'all  need to hush"

"Ok" The assembly decided to start where somebody had sing the national anthem in english, then another person sing the national anthem in creole. There were different performances of different kinds of haitian dancing and singing. After all that was done they had turn up the music and everybody started running to the middle of the gym and started dancing of course to the haitian songs. I wanted to turn up too so I dragged Ruth to the dance floor. She stood there like an idiot cause she was scared to dance.

"No I feel like theres people watching me" She said looking around at the people who still sat in the bleachers.

"Girl hush just dance"

"Hey girl" Jhanae said coming out of no where

"Dawg do you ever be at school you stay be popping up out of no where"

"I'm sorry sissy but turn up" She screamed "Oh there go your bestfriend right there too"

"Where?" I asked hiding behind her

"Girl what you hiding for he busy dancing with other people anyway" She said walking away into the crowd. She is so unhelpful sometimes. I walked in to a different crowd so Paul wouldn't find me, I remember a few weeks ago we did talk about dancing and he was wondering do I twerk and today was not the day for that.