Chapter 39-Want to be Lion...Forever

39.Want to be Lion...Forever

“Is this where you been hiding?” she laughed as I handed her a cup.

“Yes,” I admitted before I sipped my water.

“Where have you slept? That old pine wasn't protected from the wind much,” she commented as she dipped her cup into the stream.

“I will show you,” I replied as I hurried through the trees to the young pine with Anna, running to keep up. “Under here,” I said as I held up a branch and she crawled under.

“This is much better; so dear, why have you been running away?” she asked as we snuggled under the pine branches.

“I don't know, but what would you say if I wanted to be a lion...forever?” I inquired as I squeezed her hand.

“Forever? You don't really mean it, do you?” she gasped as her eyes tried to lock on mine, but I turned my face away.

“Anna, I don't feel like a human even in this state. You saw me eating the raw squirrels. I love being outside and cannot stand being caged up in my room. I feel like I should be a lion; but right now, I'm a weakling and cannot protect my loved ones. I think the transformation has gone too far to fix and it has affected my mind,” I cried as I stared at the ground, ashamed.

“Dear, you don't need to feel like this; plus, you do protect us as a human,” Anna sobbed as she tried to make me turn my face towards her.

“But I didn't protect Annie and now she doesn't remember me!” I roared and Anna stared at me confused, but she knew what I had meant in that roar.

“You could not have protected Annie from a cold. She will remember soon, dear,” Anna replied as she put her head on my chest, listening to me breathing.

“I hope so,” I said as I wrapped my arm tighter around her before falling asleep.