Chapter 4-Annie With Big Cats? No Good

4.Annie With Big Cats? Not Good

“Dad, are you here?” called a little girl with bright red hair as she peeked her bright blue eyes around the corner of Killing Karen's cage . She walked down between the cages as she dragged her tiny suitcase behind her. She glanced at me and there was recognition in her beautiful eyes. “Father, I missed you,” she whispered as she clung to my cage.

“Annie? My little Annie? Why are you here? Is your mother here?” I asked as tears welled in my eyes.

“I...I ran away. Grandfather was cruel to send you away. I need to be with you. Let me stay please,” she cried as she reached in and stroked my mane.

Killing Karen woke up, but she didn't make a sound; instead, she watched us. “Dear, you should go home. I can't take care of you. There is nothing to eat but raw meat and you can't eat that anymore. There is just no way I can let you stay,” I wept and Killing Karen purred.

Annie turned around and looked deeply into Killing Karen's majestic eyes. Annie reached into her cage and petted her sweetly. “Dad, who is this?” Annie asked as she glanced at me.

“Killing Karen,” I answered and Killing Karen's eyes dropped.

“No. That is a bad name for her. Caring Karen would be better,” Annie replied and Karen stared happily into Annie's eyes.

“Scaring Simba, who is your two-leg friend,” purred Karen as Annie scratched behind her ear.

“My daughter Annie,” I roared quietly. Karen purred as she studied my daughter. “Annie, you need to go,” I whispered.

“No!” shouted Annie; then I heard footsteps hurrying towards us.

“Who's there!” commanded the Ringmaster as he and Louis appeared.

“I'm Annie Otter! I would like to be in the circus!” Annie declared as she stood confidently before them.

“What are you good at?” the Ringmaster asked as he studied her.

“I'm good with Big cats,” she told as she reached into my cage and stroked me; so I purred and licked her hand.

“Louis, could you use a helper with a talent as hers?” the Ringmaster asked as he stared unbelievably at her.

“Yes, she would make a good helper,” Louis responded briefly.

“Good. Now, Annie come with me and I'll show you where you can sleep,” the Ringmaster said as he led my daughter away.

“What did she want?” Karen asked happily.

“To work here as a Big cat tamer,” I answered before I finally dozed off.