Chapter 31-What's a Cast?

31.What's a Cast?

I awoke the next morning and my arm didn't hurt anymore. It was covered in hard, red covering that didn't allow my arm to move from it's bent position. “Hello, anyone there?” I yelled as I pushed myself up to sitting with my left arm.

“Good, you're awake. I was extremely worried yesterday,” Anna told as she entered the room and handed me a small piece of toast.

“What happened?” I asked as I took the glass of milk from her, leaving the toast on the bed beside me.

“Dr. Jason fixed your arm; so it could heal properly before putting it in this cast to protect it,” she explained as she gently touched the cast.

“This is a cast? Oh. How did he fix my arm?” I inquired as I ran my left hand over the hard covering.

“He operated on your arm,” she answered as she gripped my left hand in her smaller hand.

“Operated?” I replied confused, but I feared what she would say.

“Yes dear. I know it sounds horrible, but he had to put an iron bar in your arm,” she answered as she squeezed my hand lovely.

“Well, that is just great! Now I am mostly made of metal!” I cried as I yanked my hand away.

“What do you mean?” she asked as she placed her hand on my shoulder.

“I have iron bars in my legs from my fight with Crusher! It is why I have those giant scars!” I sobbed as I pulled my pants' leg up.

“Oh honey. You don't have that much metal,” she chuckled as she hugged me, running her face into my hair.

“How long will I have this...cast?” I sniffed as she let go.

“A couple of weeks, but we hope to take it off before you return to lion form,” she told sadly.

“Can I do anything or can I do nothing like before?” I asked as I stared into her eyes.

“You can do many things, but nothing with your right arm,” she laughed as she pulled the covers off me and helped me stand.

“What should we do?” I asked as I leaned against her and she put her arm under my arms.

“You should go talk to Robi. She was almost as worried as me about what happened. Come, I'll take you there,” Anna said as she gently pulled me down the hall.

She stopped in front of my mother's classroom and knocked on the door frame. “Oh hello Anna. How can I help you?” my mother asked as she quickly stopped her class.

“May I have Robi Otter please?” Anna asked politely.

“Sure. Robi, you're dismissed,” my mother replied and Robi quickly walked to the door before my mother began her class again.

“James!” Robi roared in a whisper as she went to hug me, but Anna held her off me.

“Robi, not here. Come to James' room,” Anna commanded as she led me back down the hall.

“Now can I?” Robi purred as we entered my dim bedroom. Anna didn't understand; so I nodded and she quickly hugged me, being careful about my right arm. “How are you?” she mewed as she backed up.

“Okay. Let's sit,” I replied as I moved over the bed and Robi sat beside me.

“Sweetheart, I'm going to go check on the twins. Robi, you watch him please,” Anna told before she kissed my cheek; then she ran off, leaving Robi carefully staring at me.

“What's this?” Robi asked as she gently touched my cast.

“Anna called it a cast,” I replied as I pushed her hand off it.

“Why do you have this...cast?” she questioned as she looked up, trying to catch my gaze.

“I broke my arm in several places; so while it heals, it won't move and it is now protected,” I answered as I stared at it with tears filling my eyes.

“Oh, does it hurt a lot?” she inquired as she gently touched my right fingers.

“Not really,” I hissed and I really wished she would stop asking about it.

“I'm sorry that you got hurt, brother,” she cried as she grabbed my left hand.

“Sis, it isn't your fault. I'm weak in this form. If I was still a lion, this wouldn't have happened,” I roared as I stomped my foot.

“It was neither of our fault and you are a great human,” she replied calmly as she put her arm around my shoulders.

“Help me up please,” I pleaded as I tried to push myself to standing with my left arm.

“Sure brother,” she cheered as she gripped me around the waist and pulled me up. “Where are you going?” she asked as I headed towards the door.

“I want to walk,” I growled and she began to follow me. “Alone.” I slowly walked down the hall and through the door to outside. I strolled towards Dr. Jason's tent, leaving foot prints in the grass. I slipped inside and waited a few minute for him to return.