Chapter 14-Karen's Real Self

14.Karen's Real Self

I dashed to the individual cages and stopped before Karen's. “Karen, I'm back. See?” I purred quickly.

“You are! I missed having you perform with us,” Karen told as she pressed against the cage.

“You guys did wonderful. I couldn't have done the show without you,” I said in perfect English, testing my theory.

“Thank you. You will do the next one?” she asked as she stared into my eyes.

“I might as a human. I don't know,” I replied as I glanced away. 'She understands English,' I thought quickly.

“Why a human?” she hissed angrily. “How?”

“Come with me and I'll show you,” I said as I hit her lock. She stepped out and I led the way to Annie's trailer. “Annie, let us in please,” I yelled through the door.

She quickly opened the door, but stopped when she saw Karen. “Why is she here?” she asked rudely.

“She is going to tell us something, but first how many shots are left?” I asked quickly as Annie sat down on the couch, while Karen and I laid on the floor.

“Three Dad, but why?” she asked totally perplexed.

“Good. Now my cub, I need you to inject both of us with one please,” I commanded and Annie reluctantly obeyed.

We both changed quickly and Karen was shocked as she stood on two furry feet and ran a hair through her red hair. Fur and stripes covered her and her tail whisked about, but she looked more like a female human now. “James? How?” she asked as she kept pulling a hand through her hair.

“The...” I started, but Annie stood up and pushed me down onto a chair.

“My father has used one of HIS magic shots to change YOU into a part human for a little while! I hope your story is good!” Annie snapped as tears poured down her red cheeks. “What a waste of a shot!” Annie huffed as she sank back into her chair.

Annie and I sat in the couch, while Karen sat on a chair opposite of me. “Okay, where should I start?” Karen asked as her fingers ran over everything nearby.

“When were you changed?” Annie asked still furious at me.

“I was eleven and you, my dear, were only three then; so you don't remember me,” she purred in English, but I saw tears forming in her eyes.

“How long have you been in the circus?” I inquired as I studied her every move and word.

“Two years. Stripes and I were sold a little before the evil zoo closed,” she said as she stared at the ground and her tears began to fall.

“Were you always called Karen or did you have another name like my Dad?” Annie asked as she wiped the tears from her eyes.

“Yes,” Karen replied quickly as she guessed away. “My name was Robi May...”

“OTTER!” yelled Annie as she ran into her Aunt Robi's arms.

“I'm so sorry sister that I got the chance to turn back for a little bit,” I cried as I walked over her and joined in the group hug.

“Brother, you had a better reason to change back. You have a beautiful daughter, who needed you,” Robi wept as she looked at me with a smile.

“You probably would have used the year more wisely. I was still being locked up in cages,” I purred. “Annie, have a great idea. Do we have a phone here?”

“Yes Dad. It is right there,” Annie replied a bit confused.

I picked up the phone and dialed our house number. “Hello. I would like you to see Annie perform tomorrow night. Tickets are on the house on one condition that you come to her trailer straight after. Yes, bring the whole family. Good. See you,” I said before I placed the phone back. “Annie, go get the ringmaster quickly.”

She rushed out the door as Karen asked, “James, what are you doing?”

“Can't tell you. Yet!” I purred before Annie rushed in, dragging the ringmaster behind her.

“Yes James?” he asked as he bent over to catch his breath.

“Please tell your brother that I will need two shots after the show; plus, I need five front row tickets for my family,” I told happily.

“Sure James, but why?” he asked confused as he looked up at me, not noticing Robi standing in the corner.

“It is secret. Oh, I will also need a set of clothes for me and a dress for Robi,” I replied quickly.

“Robi?” he asked as he finally noticed Robi.

“Robi is Killing Karen; plus, my sister,” I answered proudly.

“Your sister? You weren't the only one of your family?” he gasped as Robi shook hands with him.

“Apparently not,” I purred and he walked towards the door.

“Okay...well, goodnight James, Annie, and...Robi,” he said still confused; then he left.

“So how long until this shot wears off?” Robi asked as she paced happily.

“A hour or two; but Robi, there is something I must warn you and it will probably happen to me again too,” I said sadly. Her smile faded away and I continued, “The shots, we use tomorrow, will make it where it will be difficult to walk. I will do a little better because I have done it before, but without these...” I waved my tail around quickly, “We won't have balance. Just be aware that you may fall a lot.”

“Okay James,” she replied as she hugged me.

“Dad. Aunt Robi. You two better stay here tonight,” Annie laughed as I reached for the door handle.

“Oh yea,” Robi and I purred and Annie laughed at us.

“Dad, you take the couch and Aunt Robi, you can have the bed,” Annie said as she rushed to the closet for extra blankets. She handed me one before curling up on two chairs.