Wise Words || Imagine Twenty Eight

"You can ring my bell, ring my bell!"

Anita Ward blared through my headphones as I reminisced about my childhood, not that I had much of it but it was nice to reminisce over the little I did have.

"Mimi, I'm so ugly and you didn't tell me? Why would you lie to me?"

I screamed, running to the little kitchen nearly heartbroken at my day at school.

"Y/n Y/M/N Y/L/N! I am a strong black woman, I am a hard working woman, a beautiful woman, I am many things but I am not a liar."

Mimi retorted stopping everything she was doing to see why I was disrespecting her.

"Mimi, Chase told be that he would never want me to be his girlfriend because I'm too fat and dark!"

I put my arms on the table using them for a headrest to support my head and to keep Mimi from seeing me cry. Chase was the cutest boy in the whole third grade, he was mixed with light green eyes and a smile that was like the sun, bright.

"Look here baby, Chase is stupid--"

My face dropped. How dare she call the love of my life stupid? I guess she doesn't know one day, we'll be married and have kids.

"I'm sorry baby but he is. He has to be stupid not to appreciate a gem as priceless as you. I mean look at you with your beautiful self, you're practically thirteen already!"

I tried but failed miserably to hide my smile, Mimi was the most beautiful lady in the whole world and for her to think I'm beautiful is so cool.

"Look at that pretty smile you got!"

She encouraged me and we both laughed but her laugh was more accented than mine.

"Listen close child. Your hips, hair, thighs, nose, and lips are a gift from God; and we all know God doesn't make mistakes. Quite frankly I think he got you absolutely perfect. Remember your skin is made from gold and brownsuga'."

Mimi kissed my nose and finished doing the dishes before helping me with my homework.

And since that day on I loved me for me with my dark skin, big lips, thick thighs. Whilst everyone hid from the sun in Summer, I couldn't wait for the sun to kiss my skin and bless me with a killer glow. Now I'm twenty two and still telling myself proudly, "My skin is made from gold&brownsuga'."

Growing up darkskin, thick, and intelligent was harder than needed be. Kids constantly blurting profanities at me for the pigmentation of my skin, the fat jokes, the you're never gonna make it in life scenarios, it sucked. My life without Mimi and her words of wisdom are what kept me alive as long as I have, the success that I obtain is because of her. I love her.

Mimi is an alternative name for grandma, and I apologize for one, being crappy with the updates, two, the short update, and for giving you guys heart attacks on the last update. I was listening to bed sad music about death and yeah. Don't kill me.