[chapter 20]

During the ride the only thing I did was picking at my fingernails. Nick was hitting me in the head in order to stop me. My father tried to start a conversation but I couldn't take part in it. I was too nervous so only Nick was answering my dad's questions. I feel bad about that.

And now here we are outside in the yard of an all too familiar building. My house. We are unloading our suitcases now and start walking to the front door.

I think I'm trembling.

Get your shit together Adams. The voice in my head speaks.

Nick notices that I am a nervous wreck and he hits me in the head for what seems like the millionth time today.

"Ow." I growl.

"Get your shit together Ellie." He says.

He grabs my hand and gives it a tight squeeze. I entwine our fingers and squeeze his hand back. That's why I love Nick. He always knows when I feel uncomfortable and he always does his best to make me feel better. A small gesture like holding my hand, a kiss on my forehead when I cry, and let me tell you I've cried a lot of times in front of him. And he always was there for me. He just bought ice cream and came over when I needed him. All that back in Greece. But now he still is here to make me feel better. And he knows how much I need this. I totally love him for everything. He is like the brother I never had. Even if he is a pain in the ass some times I still adore him.

My thoughts are interrupted by my father ringing the bell.

Doesn't he have a pair of keys? I ask myself. Anyway whatever. He might have forgotten them.

The door opens to reveal Anne in front of us dressed in a maroon dress. Her hair tied in a tight ponytail and her nails French manicured. She has light make up on that consists of mascara and red lipstick.

Why did she have to dress up?

I force a smile and extend my hand at her and she shakes it.

"How are you Anne?" I ask.

"I'm fine Ellie. Do come in please." She says and opens the door further. We walk in the living room and we leave the suitcases down on the hardwood floor.

"This is my best friend Nick." I introduce him to Anne and he also extends his hand to her.

"Nice to meet you Nick. I'm Ellie's step mom Anne." She smiles at him and I look at her with an annoyed expression but she doesn't notice.

My dad excuses himself to go to the bathroom and that's when I see Patrick running down the stairs. I feel something in the pit of my stomach when I see him running towards us, in some sweat pants and a T-shirt, but I try to ignore the strange feeling.

He comes in front of me and smiles at me. I hit him in the head and laugh.

"I missed you dumb head. Come here." I tell him and open my arms to embrace him.

He opens his arms as well and comes to me. We stay there in each others arms for what seems like eternity and then he pulls back.

"I missed you too stupid." He smiles at me.

Anne looks at us dumbfounded. What? Because you are a bitch that doesn't mean Patrick is too. I can have a totally normal relationship with him. As friend I mean. I kiss both his cheeks and then turn to Nick.

"Uhm let me introduce you. Patrick, this is my best friend Nick. Nick, this is my stepbrother Patrick." I say and they shake hands.

"Nice too meet you." Patrick speaks.