Chapter 29

“One more store,”  Nicole stated.  

“Alex, we have been to like five stores already, and my feet are killing me.”

“Caroline, quit complaining.  We have found a dress for Alex and I.  We only need to go to one more store because that store is going to be the one,”  Maddy said.

“If I say yes, will you shut up?”

“Of course,” they said in unison.  They both grabbed a hold of my arm and dragged me into the store in front of us.  

As soon as we stepped into the store, they rushed to the back of the store where the dresses were held.  They each had handfuls of dresses within minutes.  They pushed me into the dressing room and threw the dresses over the door.

I tried on the first couple of dresses that they picked out for me.  I put on the last one of their selection and walked out of the dressing room to stand in front of the mirror.  They both looked at each other and busted out laughing.  

“That bad?” I asked.

“Yes, that bad,” Nicole replied.  

“Here, I have come to your rescue,”  Maddy said as she was handing me another dress. I walked back into the dressing room and changed into the new selection.  I walked back in front of the mirror and for the first time all day, they were speechless.

“Caroline, it is gorgeous,”  Maddy said.  

“I think you have found your dress,” Nicole commented.  I looked into the mirror and saw myself in a floor length red dress.  The dress shimmered in the light and was so simple, but so gorgeous.  

“I think I have,”  I answered.  

I went back into the dressing room and changed back into my regular clothes.  I hung up the dress and walked toward the cash register to pay for the dress with Maddy and Nicole in toe.  

I handed the clerk money for the dress, but she replied saying someone had already paid for it.  I questioned Maddy and Nicole but they said they had no clue who it was.  

“I almost forgot, they left you this note,”  The clerk said as she handed me a piece of paper.  

I want to do the only thing I can think of to make sure your prom is everything you have ever imagined.  So for you Caroline, I have decided to buy you your dress since I can’t attend prom with you now that Ace asked you.  Love Jay.

I smiled down at the paper and then grabbed the bag and left the store with Maddy and Nicole.  When we got outside the store, Maddy looked at me and said.

“Who was the note from?”

“Jay.”

“Who is Jay?”  Nicole asked.  

“He is Jeremiah’s cousin,” I answered. 

“Since when do you talk to Jeremiah’s cousin?” Maddy asked. 

“Since I don’t remember, we just talk.”

“So do you have a thing with him?” Nicole asked.

“No.”

“Not even a little bit?” Nicole questioned. 

“He might like me I’m not sure, but I don’t like him like that.  I only have eyes for one guy.”

“And who would this guy be?”

“Ace, but I’m sure you already knew that.”  They both looked at each other and then back at me and stared squealing.