Chapter 27

The familiar smell of The Café on the Corner hit me as I entered the room.  I looked around trying to spot Jay, and I finally found him sitting at a booth in the corner.  I walked over to him and slid into the seat opposite of him.  He looked up at me and a smile the size of Texas formed on his face. 

“Why so smiley?”  I asked him.

“Just glad to see you Caroline.”  

“Well I am glad to see you too, but I’m not that smiley about it.”

“Just drop it.”  I dropped the subject and then our waitress came and took our order.  

“So Caroline, Jeremiah tells me that you rock at playing hockey.”

“I wouldn’t say rock,”  I said and he gave me a questioning look.  “Okay, maybe I am really good.”

“Good enough to rock?”

“Fine, I rock at playing hockey.”

“That’s better.”  He said while wearing a triumphant grin.  We talked a little more and then he asked a  question that I could tell he was absolutely serious about.

“Why are you with your boyfriend?”

“Excuse me?”

“Why are you dating Cole?”

“How do you even know his name?”

“We go way back.  Why are you with him? 

“Because I want to be.”

“No you don’t.”

“How would you know what I want and what I don’t?”

“The other day when I first met you, I could tell that you didn’t want to be there with him.  When he came back inside the restaurant, your eyes didn’t light up like they should have.  You got a more scared look in them, a nervous look.”

“That didn’t happen!”  I said, a little too loudly.

“I know it did and so do you.”

“Can we please just drop it?”

“I’m sorry Caroline.  I barely even know you, but I know you are a special girl and you don’t deserve to feel that way.”

“I don’t feel anyway I shouldn’t.”

“But you do.  Your not lying to me, your lying to yourself.  You think you have the type of relationship that you want, but it is actually the farthest thing from that.”

“I’m fine, I promise.”

“Promise is a strong word.”

“And I am using it because I mean it.”

“But you don’t.”

“Jay, why can’t you just drop it.  I don’t want to talk about it at all.”

“I won’t drop it because you deserve to be with the person that you love, and I am just trying to help you realize that this relationship isn’t for you.  You should take my advice and get out while you can.”

“What if I want to make it work with Cole because he is the one that I love?”

“Then you are telling a big lie.”

“Since you know everything, who do I love?”

“I have a pretty good idea, but you need to figure that out on your own.”  Our waitress came back to our table with our food.  We ate our lunch, occasionally making conversation, but nothing too serious.