Chapter 12

My alarm rang through my room, waking me up in enough time to get ready for school. I check my phone and a reminder popped up saying there was no school and that today was Hayden’s film festival. He entered a film in the festival, but wouldn’t let any of us see it before hand. He said he wanted it to be a surprise.

I began typing him a message about what time the festival started, when I was interrupted by a text from Luke reminding me about the fair and answering my question, by telling me it started at noon. I looked at the clock on my bed side table and saw that it read 6:50.

I decided to get up and start getting ready because I knew I wouldn’t be able to fall back asleep. I had just gotten out of the shower when Jeremiah’s voice filled my room. I walked out of the bathroom and didn’t see him anywhere, and that’s when I remembered that he set his ring tone on my phone as him singing to me.

I picked up the phone and was greeted by his cheerful and wide awake voice.

“Hey Carr, just calling to make sure your up”

“This is the third reminder that I have had so far. Did you guys really think I would sleep late and not remember about Hayden's film?”

“Yes, we actually did.”

“Well I couldn’t even if I tried, thanks to you guys”

“Oh Carr, anytime, all you have to do is ask” I could practically hear his smirk on the other end of the phone. “Oh, and I was wondering if we could car pool there”

“What time should I pick you up?”

“Well since your asking, how about ten?”

“Sounds good” and with that, I hung up. I walked into my closet and pulled out my coral jean shorts and my white lace tank top. I changed into them and went back into the bathroom. Once I finished curling my hair and putting it up into a casual updo, I applied a minimal amount of makeup.

I finished getting ready by slipping on my brown flip flop, with coral straps featuring a bow on each one. I added a six strand bracelet that had white, cream, coral, and light pink beads. I walked back into my room and slipped my phone into my back pocket before exiting my room and heading down the stairs.

I was stopped by my brother, who came out his bedroom and asked where I was going. We didn’t talk much, but when we did, he only asked questions like this. I replied telling him about the film festival and then continued downstairs, while he was in mid sentence.

I sat on the couch and turned on the TV and watched the ending of the Last Song, before grabbing my keys and walking out to my jeep. I started the engine and turned on the radio and made my way to Jeremiah's house. I pulled into the driveway and saw him laying in his front yard.

I shut off the car and climbed out. I walked over to where he was laying and saw that he had his headphones in. I checked the time and realized that I was 15 minutes early, so laid down beside him. We laid beside each other in silence, allowing the sun to project its warmth on our faces.

He was the one to break the peaceful moment, when he stood up and reached for my hand to help me up. I took his help and we walked together to my jeep. I threw him the keys and walked around to the other side and got in. He pulled out of the driveway, and we set off on our 30 minute journey to the fair grounds, where the festival was being held.

When we arrived, we were directed toward the parking lot, where Jere paid the guy and proceeded to find us a spot. He parked the car and came around to the side of the car, where he opened my door for me. We walked to the gates, and we were met by the rest of the guys.