Chapter 24

Cole sat across from me, wearing the most gorgeous smile I have ever seen.  After he picked me up at school, we drove to a little diner located on a back road.  He could tell that something was bothering me, so he was doing everything in his power to make me feel better.  What is bothering me?

ACE…

I didn’t feel comfortable talking and venting to Cole about him.  I know Cole is my boyfriend and that we should be able to talk about anything, but what boyfriend would want to hear their girlfriend talk about what might be their biggest competition.

 “What are you smiling about?”  I asked in curiosity.  He shook his head with a no and looked off in the other direction.  I followed his gaze to see what he was looking at.  He was starring at a table of four boys around our age.  I turned my attention back to our table.  

Our waitress came to take our order, and returned with flowers.  The diner was connected to a flower shop. She handed me the flowers and I took out the card from the little envelope.  The card read:

You mean everything to me and I want you to know you can talk about it.  I already know it is about Ace, and I don’t want you to be uncomfortable talking about him around me.  He was and still is your best friend and I know I am never going to replace him, no one ever will.  I don’t know what it feels like to have your best friend ripped out of your life and then to hear him say those things to you, but I bet it sucks.  You may not be ready to say it, but I am.  I love you Caroline.  

I looked up at him and he was smiling that handsome smile again.  

“Why are you so incredible?”  I asked.

“Well, because I’m Cole.”

“That can be argued.”

“You and everyone else know that it is true.”  He continued to argue with me about it, but eventually gave up.  

We enjoyed our dinner and dessert.  When we were getting ready to leave and I told Cole to go out to the truck and that I would be right there.  I walked to the restroom and stood inside for a moment.  I wanted to see how serious Cole was about me, so I came up with a plan. 

I decided I would send him out to the truck and I would go to the bathroom.  When I left, I would walk directly past the table with the four boys.  I was hoping they would say something to me.  I would play along and hope that Cole would come in to see what is taking me so long.

When he comes in and sees the boys talking to me, I want to see what his reaction is.  I want to see if he gets protective or just lets it go.  I want to see if he trust me that I didn’t start it or if he gets mad at me for talking to them.

I checked my appearance in the mirror and when I thought I looked okay, I walked out of the bathroom.  I headed toward their table.  I watched as one of the boys whispered something to the others and they all looked in my direction.  So far, the plan was working.

As I walked closer to them, they continued to watch me.  They signaled me to come over to their table, so I did.  I walked over to them and the two boys on the one side moved into the booth farther, so there was enough room for me on the edge.  

I sat down and they immediately started talking to me.  

“I’m Owen and they are Michael, Damon, and Jay,” the one sitting next to me said.

“I’m Caroline.”

“It is my pleasure to meet you Caroline,”  Owen said as he grabbed my hand and kissed it.  I smiled at him and then Jay said.