Ten - THIS TITLE HAS BEEN ARRESTED FOR SPOILING THE EVENTS IN THIS CHAPTER

'Is it really that hard to shop for your mom?" I ask as Max literally scanned every bracelet the store has.

"Yes, because if my dad doesn't like it, he'll take it back to the store for her and buy the same exact thing at a more expensive price." He says.

I frowned. "That's kinda harsh."

"Yeah and I'm a jerk. That's what makes us the alike."

"Noted."

"What about that one?" He points to a silver bangle with a single small blue gem in it. "You think she would like that one?"

"You tell me, she's your mom."

"I know."

"Shopping for your lovely lady here, sir?" A woman behind the counter asks.

"Huh?" Max looked from the bracelet, to the woman, to me and back to the woman. "Oh, no, she's not my..." He realized that I was still next to him. "We're... Just friends."

The woman got a curious smirk. "Uh-huh... Would you like to take a closer look at something?"

"The sliver bracelet with the gem, please."

She carefully took it out if the glass case. "Sir, because of store policy, I gonna have to ask you to put these gloves on if you're going to handle the bracelet. The manager doesn't want any finger prints on the jewelry." She held up a pair or white fabric gloves.

Max took them, put them on, and gently picked up the bracelet. He looked at it for at least 5 minutes, then got a smile. "I'll take this one."

"Awesome!" She took the bracelet from him, put it in the box and took the gloves back.

We walked around to the spot with the cash register. She scanned the box, typed a couple of numbers in. "That'll $149.99."

"$150?! I only have 100!" Max exclaims. His face turned really red really fast.

"I'm sorry, sir, but management adds an extra $10 to every item's price to cover the cost it took to ship the item here."

He just sighed. "I'll have to buy it another day. I'd rather my mom get something late than not get anything at all."

Poor Max. He's really disappointed.

"Let me see if I can get you a discount. Wait here." She ran to a door behind the counter, reached around, grabbed a packet and flipped through the papers. "Okay, let's see... Are you related to or currently a member of the military?"

"No."

No.

"I don't mean to get personal, sir, but are you disabled physically or mentally?"

"Hell no."

"Uh... The only thing I could suggest is joining our rewards program, and the application fee is $50."

How greedy is this freaking manager?

"I'll buy it next week." He started to leave.

"Uh, I'll be put in a sec, Max." I say.

He gave me a funny look, but shrugged and stood outside the front entrance. When the door closed, I dug out my wallet. I've got $200 on me.

"I'll take the bracelet," I say, holding out the stack of 20s.

She gave me a smile, completed the transaction, and gift wrapped and bagged the small box. "He's lucky to have a friend like you. Not very many people would do this for a friend."