Chapter 13 : Draco

Draco

“Draco, darling, would you come downstairs for a moment?” Mom called from downstairs.

I sighed. I so did not want to face her or my father that day. If I did, that meant that I would be seeing him eventually that day, especially if my dad was involved. He would to anything to get back on the ‘nice list’ so to speak. What a kiss ass, right?

I got up out of my bed and headed for my dresser. I needed to clothe myself before heading down, and mom knows that. As I knelt down to open a drawer, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror that was attached to it. I only had one thought about the bloke that was staring back at me: Is that what everyone sees when they look at me? I looked as tired as hell. I also looked a tad bit sad. I was a bit more pale than usual, and I had lost some weight, especially in my face. I looked fucking awful. The price of being a deatheater, I suppose.

“What took you so damn long?” dad spat at me as soon as I entered the kitchen. “Your mother told you to come down that usually means to get down here as soon as she asks you too, not when you bloody well feel like it. Do you understand?”

I nodded. “Yes, father.”

“Now, sit down you buffoon,” he muttered and took a swig out of the flask that he had taken accustomed to carrying with him.

“Eat some of your breakfast, dear,” mom came to the rescue. “You look like all skin and bones. Have you been eating your fill at Hogwarts? Not worrying too much, are you?”

I sighed. “Yes, mum. I’ve been eating.”

“You have been working on your task, Draco? It would be such a shame to have our name tainted because you were too much of a fool not to complete what the Dark Lord has asked of you too,” dad leered my way.

“You mean anymore than it has right?” I instantly regretted saying it as soon as it was out, but I couldn’t do anything to take it back. “I’m sorry,” I murmured, looking down at my plate. I wasn’t hungry at all.

“You better be sorry. No child should speak like that to their father,” he said, taking another swig.

“Even if they do deserve it.”

It wasn’t me that time. Mom had swooped to my rescue once more, and this time she put herself in jeopardy.  I shot my mom a look, which she responded with a shake of her head, telling me not to question her. So, I returned my focus to my father, who had his attention on my mom.

“Narcissa, you worthless-“

“Don’t talk to her like that,” I said, not regretting it. “She’s a good woman and doesn’t deserve to be talked down to by a man who feels so small that he must make his wife and son feel even smaller.” I was tired of watching it. He could bully me around all he wanted, but he wasn’t going to do it to my mom any longer.

“What did you just-“ my dad cut himself off and his eyes widened.

I turned in the direction that he was staring to see none other than the boss of the whole family. What a prick he was too. I hated him so much that I just wanted to quite right then and there. I was so afraid of him though that I wouldn’t even dare attempt it.

“Am I interrupting a little moment?” he smirked as if he was enjoying it. “Well, don’t stop on account of me. Get your little spat over and done with so it’s out of your system while we are conversing over the reason of my coming here. Go on.”

Dad cleared his throat. “We were finished, right Draco?”

I nodded afraid to mutter a sound in his presence.

“Good,” he smiled. “I have business to discuss with you, Draco. I know that I have been rather lenient with my orders. Perhaps I should’ve been stricter, but it’s too late now. I should’ve told you the rules when you decided to let me brand you. Not that you knew there were rules, but more as some common sense that I thought every deatheater knew. Draco, are you following everything that I have told you?”

I nodded. “Yes, sir,” I squeaked.

“I’m afraid I don’t appreciate liars, Draco.” I gulped as he paused and looked away from me. “Should I tell them what you have done? I know you’re parents are very curious to find out what their boy has done now.”

I looked at mom, who looked as if she was about to cry. The son who was just defending her had actually done something wrong, something against the Dark Lord. There was one problem with that though: I had no freaking clue what I did wrong. I was trying to fix the cupboard. I was making progress with the other task. Why couldn’t I just be free and clear?

“You are doing a tremendous job on both of your tasks, Draco, and I commend you on both. What you have done has nothing to do with either. I am speaking of what you are doing in your free time. I was sure that you had gotten rid of the problem just a few weeks ago, but you let it back it,” he paused and looked me straight in the eyes. “You are a traitor, my boy.”

My eyes widened. My heart hammered against my chest. A traitor? How could I be considered one when I worked my ass off for him? This was preposterous. I had absolutely no idea what he was going on about, but I did know one thing. He killed traitors.

“Don’t worry. I’m not going to kill you,” he smirked, “today, but I’m just warning you. If you ever see that mudblood girl ever again, I will go through with it. You should know of all people that we are doing this to purify the world. No halfbloods or mudbloods should walk around as freely as they do. You know this, Draco, yet you have fallen in love with one. How shameful.”

I sighed and closed my eyes. Hanna.

“Remember, Draco, that I am watching you. I know everything that you do, and sometimes even manipulate you. So, I wouldn’t cross the line if I were you. I’ve already done your light work for you, don’t mess it up,” he then walked towards the doorway. “Come along, Luscius. We have much to discuss.”

So, it was him that had controlled me that night I went to break up with Hanna. I knew that it wasn’t my words coming off my tongue that night. I knew that it wasn’t my hands that pushed her to the ground. None of it was me. I was being controlled. None of it was my fault, but it will be soon if I continue anything with her. I just had to carry things too far the other night. I shouldn’t have kissed her when she asked, but I had wanted it just as much as she did.

“Draco?” mom called, placing her hand over mine.

“Mom,” I said, looking her in the eye. “Are you disappointed in me as well?”

She shook her head. “You can’t control who you love,” was her simple reply.

A/N: I love this chapter. :) I just thought i would say so. I think this is my favorite chapter of the whole book so far! It really shows us exactly what Draco is going through at home, which is most of his personality. You know? Well, comment and vote please! Don't forget my other two stories: Draco Malfoy's Dirty Little Secret and Beauty in All Its Simplicity! :)