±twenty-three

CALUM'S POV

i looked over to my shoulder to see jess paying attention to the board as our "teacher" blabbered something about basic algebra. i sighed, my thoughts filling my head again.

she's too good to be mine. she's better than a thousand of me all together. she's better than i'll ever be even if i try. goddamn i don't deserve her. she deserves better than a stuck up useless idiot who can't even pay attention in this stupid class.

"hood, hello? calum? anybody there?"

i quickly sat up from my position and covered my face in my hands, slightly shaking my head. like i was insane and doing this would keep me together.

"hey pup, you okay?" i know, she makes me feel like a pup. it's cute anyway so who am i to complain.

i shrugged before grabbing the textbook and pen in front of me and of course, her. i walked through the crowded building and out to the usual hang out place of the group, under the shade of the huge tree outside the field.

sure enough, the others were already there. michael waved his hand and so did the others once we came into view.

"hey bud" michael greeted, ruffling my hair at the process.

"sleepy calum is sleepy" jess laughed before giving me a side hug and leaning her head on my chest since we had such a height difference.

"what could have possibly happened last night?" michael teased once again. really mike? really. fucking serious?

my eyes widened and drifted my gaze from jess to mike, "you know too much" i played along.

i thought today was going to be one of those normal days but i spoke too fucking soon. one of the guards came marching up to us, we mumbled a good morning thinking they would just check and leave. but nah.

"hood." one said sternly, i nodded, "sir"

"visitor, outside. you have 15 minutes" i nodded but not quickly. pretty sure it was my uncle and i'm not quite enthusiastic about seeing him too soon.

i practically dragged myself to the visiting area where people crowded to see their loved ones. i searched the room for the familiar face but a mop of curly blonde hair made its way to me instead.

"bloody fucking hell, calum" he muttered too happily while he wrapped his arms around me. i was left dumbfounded trying to take this in. he stepped back, looking at my face for reactions and to see me fully. "you still there, cal?"

"yeah" i nodded, "fuck" i cussed before everything finally sinks in and i quickly wrapped my arms around him.

"missed you buddy" i nodded, as the tears started to form in my eyes i tried blinking them away to prevent them from falling. "hey, hey, don't cry over me" ashton chuckled while he practically squished my face.

i wiped my cheeks while he walked over to a table with me following just behind. "so tell me what's been happening outside"

"nothing much really, i heard your uncle's arranging some papers to get you out of here" he sighed, he knew how my uncle scares the shit out of me, "man, if you're safe here. i'd rather you stay in"

"that's exactly what i want" my tone slight getting higher due to my frustration.

"if i had a proper job and a good amount of this" he motioned to his hands like he was throwing away invisible cash, "i'd arrange your papers and take you in but i don't man. but i'm almost there"

"it's fine, everyone dies anyway" i joked harshly.

"your uncle's not gonna kill you, he lives with his family. i bet they'll try to protect you from him" he shrugged, trying to catch my attention which was currently at the building's entrance.

"hmm, right. maybe i get to murder him first" i smirked, giving my full attention back to him. i heard him let out a dramatic sigh before slapping my right cheek and smiling innocently at me.

"i hate you" i muttered through gritted teeth.

"you know you didn't kill your family, cal" he sighed once again. something he does most of the time when he's frustrated.

"i know" and just as the words came out of my mouth a guard grabbed the back of my shirt and lifted me up, "time's up"

"yeah, yeah no need to be aggressive bobby"

i put my hands up in surrender while i gave ashton a small smile as he waved goodbye, "see you soon, cal"

i looked over to bobby, the guard, who gave me a genuine smile. "just a bit more days then you're out"

i just gave him a shrug, not really wanting to talk about the fact that i was going to live with my uncle soon.

"you seem like the only kid who's not happy to leave"

"cause i'm not and i don't want to. he's horrible" he gave me a light chuckle before ruffling my hair- wait a sec, can people please quit that, i'm not a puppy— and opening the gates to hell once again.