Spreading the News

"Miss. Ellie, you seem to be doing okay." A woman in a white lab coat said. She had shoulder-length brown hair and glasses that framed her face. 

"Momma K." River remarked while standing up to hug the middle-aged woman.  

"My boy. How are you?" She asked in a concerned tone. The way she said this brought my attention back to the conversation.

"Not right now okay?" River stated as he looked back towards me. 

'Oh hell, no... Something's wrong I can feel it.' A voice in my head, that did not belong to me commented. 'I'm your wolf, Piper.

'I have a wolf?'

'Duh... Were-WOLF. Kinda means you shift into a big furry animal, which has to have a name, so here I am.'

"Ellie?" River snapped me out of my daze, and I shook my head clearing my thoughts.

"Yeah?"

"Dr. K says you can leave."

"Thank you, Moon Goddess!" I exclaimed. River looked at me in shock and surprise, but then let out a short chuckle. 

"I'm calling a pack meeting, so I'll take you to the house and you can get changed then we'll leave and you can meet the pack." My head snapped up at the part where he mentioned the pack. As if he saw my nervousness he said a few reassuring words.

I nodded after calming myself down and put on a sweatshirt over my sweatpants. We exited the park hospital and made our way to River's house. 

I felt many pairs of eyes make their way towards me. I knew that they were just trying to find out who I was but all the staring was making me anxious. As if he felt it River grab my hand making me calm down instantly.  It was weird how much one person could affect me.  

River had talked about The mate bond and how it would affect our relationship. Apparently, the Moon Goddess had put in place to rush the mating process. River also explained that when we mated since he was  Alpha, I would most likely become pregnant. 

At first, I was shocked, I mean I'm only eighteen, not to mention my own mother died so I don't know how to raise a child. But River said the ladies in the pack would be more than happy to help me with our child, and he also reminded me that he had basically raised Bella, so he would be there to help.

When we made it to River's house, Bella came bounding down the stairs. She squealed as River picked her up and spun around. Laughter escaped my mouth at the sight of this big tall man laughing with the smallest girl you've ever seen.

River gently set her down on the ground while smiling and looking down at her with admiration in his eyes. A pang of jealousy hit me in the chest out of nowhere. I was an only child, and my own father didn't even want to be apart of my life. Then my mom died, and the only person I had left in my life beat me. It kinda leaves a girl with the right to be a little jealous of a somewhat normal family.

"You know where my room is right?" River asked. I nodded my head, remembering the last time I was at his house. That was the time he was dancing without a shirt to country music. He also questioned me about my bruises that day.

"I'm pretty sure, Morgan put some clothes on my bed for you. Or at least I mind-linked her to." River also explained what mind-linking was, it was how werewolves communicated without actually speaking. You just had to have a connection to them somehow, and you were ready to go. I personally thought it was really cool, how you didn't have to speak or use a phone to talk to someone if you needed to.

Once I made it to River's room, I saw a sweatshirt and leggings, along with a clean pair of undergarments. I quickly got dressed and went back downstairs to see Alex laying on the couch watching the television eating a bag of pretzels.

"Alex?" I asked with a humored tone. He jumped and the pretzels fell out onto the carpet.

"Noooo. My pretzels!" He whined. I grinned at his childish behavior, as he gave his broken snack an upset look.

"Here catch." He threw a pair of socks and Nike shoes, which hit me in the face. I rubbed the right side of my head hoping the slight pain would go away.

"Owww." I groaned.

"Ha! That's what you get for making my precious food fall on the ground." I rolled my eyes at him and he stuck his tongue out at me.

"Are we gonna do this all day?" I asked.

"No. Because you're my Luna have your very first pack meeting to attend to." I groaned and threw my head back. Laughter filled the room as Alex thought my behavior must have been hilarious. 

We exited the house and he led me to a large clearing in the woods. People were scattered around and talking among themselves, so it didn't look like there were six hundred people there, but as River had told me earlier pack meetings were mandatory, so everyone would be there.

On top of a makeshift stage stood River in all his handsome glory. Ever since he had told me about werewolves and my wolf Piper had started talking to me, I became even more attractive to him. It was like our 'relationship' needed that push and that push so happened to be me turning into a werewolf.

"Ellie, River wants you upstage," Alex said as he nudged me towards the stage. Reluctantly I climbed up the four stairs leading up to the platform.

"Ellie." River exclaimed as he embraced me in his arms. His familiar smell of grass and mint engulfed me as he pulled me closer. 

"Hey River," I said as he released me from his grip. He gave me one of his lopsided smiles and his eyes seemed to twinkle in the sunlight.

"I better get this started so..."

"Attention everybody!" River called out. The talking seemed to stop and everybody stood in the back of the clearing or sat in the chairs in the middle of the forest.

"As most of you all know I've met my mate," He gestured towards me as he said this " Her name is Ellie Smith and you will treat her as you would treat me. Understand?" I had never seen this side of River and to be honest it surprised the crap out of me. He was this fun-loving guy and now in front of all these people, he was strict and harsh.

A chorus of yes' boomed through the clearing and I thought we were done, but River kept speaking.

"Lately I have not been feeling well, and I hoped that my wolf would help me get over whatever illness I was dealing with. After having the same symptoms for a couple of days which turned into a week or two I decided to pay the infirmary a visit. They ran a few tests and I recently got the results back. They came back as positive, for leukemia." Gasps were heard throughout the clearing and one was my own. I couldn't have imagined what my face looked like, it was probably a mix of shock and confusion.

 I had no idea werewolves could have such a disease. But according to River and his test results it was possible.

"Are there any oppositions to me keeping the Alpha position?" One man with strong arms and legs, along with scars running on his face stepped forward and spoke.

"I challenge you for the position." He stated clearly.

"Tomorrow at noon we will fight for the position." River said in a tone like he was not worried about the possible injuries he could receive or that he had a deadly disease. However, on the other side, I was a jittery mess. I had just met him and he was the first person who had not thought I was a freak or just left me because I couldn't be fixed.

So naturally, I was afraid for him, but it was going to be okay. I knew it...hopefully.

-

I don't know how I feel about this chapter it wasn't my best but oh well.

Vote. Do whatever fans do....😂💕
40 reads. 10 votes before the next update. Peace✌🏻️