Chapter 8

River

    It's been four days now, and my precious mate had not woken up. Everyone in the pack had noticed a change in the atmosphere and could tell something was up but didn't know what. Alex had taken over the Alpha position until Ellie had woken up, and I could fully focus on my job. Until then I had days full of free time, which I spent sitting in an uncomfortable chair for hours on end.

   A knock brought me out of my thoughts as a female figure walked in. "Hey River," Morgan said quietly. I looked up and gave her a small smile. She grimaced as she got closer to my hunched body. 

     "I know you're going through a tough situation, I mean we all are, but personal hygiene is a must... like you legit smell like shit." She said while holding her nose. Morgan grabbed my arm effectively pulling me out of the chair. Pushing me into the bathroom connected to Ellie's room, she threw words over my shoulder, "Go... I mean you're like two feet away from her go!" I chuckled and for the first time left my mate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     After a quick shower, I threw on the clothes Morgan had left for me and brushed my teeth. As soon as I was done I exited the bathroom and made my way to Morgan and Alex who had just arrived. 

"Hey brother," Alex said as he gave me a hugged "How ya holdin' up?" I took my seat next to Ellie's bed and asked if there was any new news. As both of them nodded, I felt my heart drop a little lower in my stomach. My hopes were still high, but this was my soulmate, after all, I was supposed to protect her. Before my parents had passed my dad would always tell me and my brothers this, "Whenever you find your mate, you protect her, you spoil her, and most importantly you treat her with respect." That was the last thing my dad ever said to me and that's how I'll always remember him.

    My mom was one of my best friends. She was always there for me, she was always there for all her kids really. I remember the day the rogues attacked like it was yesterday. My father and Alex were fighting and I was told to go make sure the rest of my family was safe. 

   When I reached the house, it was a mess. The furniture was all over the place and broken, and the pillows and drapes were torn into shreds. But the worse part was when I saw the two dead wolves in the living room. One was rogue the other was my mom. My legs moved so fast, trying to reach her as fast as possible. I already knew I was too late, but that wasn't what hurt the most. What haunted me the most was that my mother died, not only while protecting her family, but while she was pregnant. She was just two months away from giving birth to my little brother. That reminded me that the world was cruel and that anything could happen at any time. 

   After shaking the terrible memories from my head, I realized that Morgan and my twin had left the hospital room. Scooting my chair closer, I grabbed Ellie's pale hand in my own.  The shocks that shot up my arm and the steady beat of her heart were the only things, reminding me and my wolf that she was actually alive.

     "Ellie I know you probably can't hear me, but I really need you to wake up. I can't afford to lose anybody else... especially you." I whispered as a lone tear ran down my cheek. I knew I was Alpha and was supposed to be big and strong, but this was too familiar, and I couldn't handle it. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Today was Friday and the fifth day Ellie had been out. If people thought I was bad the first few days, well I wonder what they thought now. I had stopped showering and eating altogether, not to mention I hadn't gotten a wink of sleep since the second day she had been in the hospital. 

   My thumbs were caressing Ellie's hand as I was trying to remind myself and my wolf, once again, that everything would be okay. I suddenly felt a twitch from Ellie and I immediately perked up and all my attention went to my mate. A couple minutes passed by and I thought maybe I was hallucinating, but then I saw her eyes flicker open.  She slowly turned to face me and my hand slowly reached out to touch her cheek. 

"Hey." She said with a gravely voice. I poured a cup of water and gently sat her up. After she drank the water she looked at me with her big blue eyes and I knew that I was done for.  I had known this girl for like a week and I was already in love with her. 

"River?" Ellie asked quietly.
"Mhmm."
"Why do you look like crap?" I let out a long overdue laugh and for the first time in five days, I felt Zander stop pacing in my head.

"Because I was here... waiting for you to wake up." 

"I'm sorry.." My eyebrows scrunched together. Why was she apologizing? 

"It wasn't your fault," I said as I took her hand in my own once again. Ellie looked down to our interlocking hands and I knew she had felt the shocks. Sooner or later I would have to tell her that she wasn't human anymore. Her first shift would be coming soon and I would have to tell her before then so she didn't freak out.. as much.

     We spent the next few hours talking about anything and everything. The clock on the wall read 10:19 at night and I knew that Ellie was getting tired. 

"Ellie, why don't you go to sleep." She gave me another look with those big eyes, this one almost questioning. 

"Don't leave." She replied.

"I won't leave."

"Promise?" 

"Promise." With that, she turned onto her side facing away from me, still clutching my hand. I knew that I would finally be able to get some sleep, now that my baby was okay. As I got comfortable in the small chair I reminded myself that tonight everything in my world was in place and I was going to be okay.