First Day

I WROTE THIS A WHILE AGO. MY WRITING IS NOT THE BEST BUT IMPROVES NEAR THE END. PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE NEGATIVE COMMENTS, BECAUSE I'M GONNA BE FAIRLY HONEST I DON'T REALLY CARE WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY.

looking back now... i hate how this book is written... but i was like 13 AHAHA omg the cringe y'all. i'm sorry.
also feel free to check out my new book 'since you've been gone' HAHAH no shame in self promo here <3
——

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock blaring. Whilst groaning I quickly shut it off hoping, Craig, my step-father, had not heard it. Hopefully, he was passed out from the drinking he had done last night anyway.

A hiss left my mouth as I sat up, my stomach protesting my sudden movement. Last night's beating hadn't been terrible and I knew it could be a lot worse.

Knowing I had no time to waste, I continued to go through the motions of my morning routine. After throwing on a halfway decent outfit, I put on a thin layer of makeup and brushed through my knotted hair.

When I reached the kitchen the microwave clock said it was 7:30. I had about twenty minutes to make Craig, breakfast. Hurriedly, I rushed around the kitchen trying to make something before he made his way downstairs.

Right as I sat the plate and glass of orange juice on the table, I heard the creaking of the hardwood floors. I had made it just in time.

I took in the man's rough appearance as he rounded the corner, making his way into our cramped kitchen.

Craig's brown hair was all over the place and his 5 o'clock shadow was quickly becoming more than that. If he was going for the 'I'll wake up and look perfectly acceptable - society won't think I'm homeless' look, well boy was he wrong.

Not to mention the bags under his eyes that made him look like a raccoon. Once Craig caught sight of me, he grunted and mumbled something under his breath. Hello to you too, I thought.

"You have school today. Might want to start walking." I internally rolled my eyes, and walked past Craig, not giving him a second look.

After grabbing my backpack, I made my way out the door. Putting my headphones in, I played Alessia Cara's song Here and made my way to my new school.

The walk to school seemed to last forever but after half an hour I finally arrived. The hallways were fairly empty, and I was hoping that I had not missed the start of classes.

I slowly made my way into the building, following the signs that directed me towards the office.

"How may I help you, baby?" The woman behind the front desk smiled. Her voice was sugary and coated in a thick southern accent.

"Um... I'm new here. My name is Ellie Smith."

The woman let out a happy squeal and managed to give me an even bigger smile. She frantically gathered some papers before standing up. "Here is your schedule, locker number and combination, and a map."

"3301...3301," I mumbled under my breath. I passed the cafeteria, classrooms, and a set of stairs before I finally reached my locker. I turned the knob until I hit 32, 42, and then 2.

I heard a click and opened it, inside were books for English 12, Calculus, Physics, Psychology, and French 4. I pulled out my schedule and it read,

"English 12

Band

PE/Health

Calculus

Lunch

Psychology

Physics

French 4."

I groaned as I put my binders for the later classes in my locker and headed towards homeroom. Once I reached class, I noticed that I was the first person in the class. The teacher must have heard me because she turned around and said, "You must be Ellie. I'm Mrs. Jones, take a seat anywhere you would like. The rest of the class should be here shortly." I nodded and made my way to the back row and took a seat next to the window.

Just as Mrs. Jones had said the other students rushed into the class a couple minutes later. I felt like everyone was staring at me. They probably were, cause I mean I'm the new kid, it's their job to stare. When we were taking notes I noticed about three empty seats in the middle of the room. I shook my head clear of the thought and continued writing, but I couldn't focus, it was really bothering me.

Just as our teacher was explaining the directions for a worksheet she just passed out, three boys all walked into the room. "Mr. Hales why are you Alex, and Caden late again?" she asked in an annoyed tone.

"Cause we don't like your class, and we're failing." The tall, brown-haired one said.

"I wonder why you're failing?" Mrs. Jones replied sarcastically. The class laughed, and I smiled. 'Mr.Hales' and his crew just rolled their eyes and sat in their seats. The rest of the class went by smoothly, and when the bell rang, I tried to quietly make my way out of class, but someone blocked my path as I neared the door. I hoped that it wasn't who I thought it was, but unfortunately, I was correct. It was 'Mr.Hales'.