xxix. the wanderer and the safe place

When guilt ceased,

When guilt ceased,

The heart knows.

⚡⚡⚡

It was sunset, in an abandoned playground, a lone female figure sat on one of the unbroken swings. Her body was rigid, her fists clenched angrily on the iron chains of the swing, and her once happy green eyes were red, full of tears and guilt.

After what happened in her fourth year, Gemmalynn chose to be alone and distanced herself from everyone. She never visited The Burrow or sent letters to the Weasleys, as well as Hermione. They never sent one back, so she didn't have to worry. She spent her summer buried in her books and training with Nyra and Dobby as her only companions.

Her grandfather was keeping her in the dark once again, and kept disappearing whenever she wanted to see him. So, she chose to be quiet and stay away from trouble as much as possible, but sometimes she couldn't help but be upset with him. When she was younger he would tell her everything, even his secrets, but now, he was purposely leaving her in the dark.

Because of her loneliness, the guilt and regret in her heart the day Cedric died only grew and made her numb. She didn't know he has feelings for her, and only realized she was dense to the feelings of others towards her, their attraction towards her. She felt incredibly guilty, not knowing of Cedric's feelings and especially, after he chose to protect her from the killing curse cast by Pettigrew.

She and Harry were recorded as the official winners of the tournament and were given each a prize of a thousand galleon coins. It wasn't much use for them since they have their parents' savings locked up at Gringotts. While Harry decided to give his prize to Fred and George, Gemmalynn gave hers to Cedric's parents, who refused at first but she insisted.

As she pushed the swing back and forth, she hummed her mother's lullaby. She stopped when she heard footsteps approaching and looked up to see Harry standing not far from the swings. She and Harry stared at each other with wide, surprised eyes. They weren't expecting to see each other.

"Gem?"

Gemmalynn's guilt was overcome by relief when she saw Harry as she rose from the swings.

"Harry!"

Gemmalynn rushed into Harry's arms and tightly embraced him. Harry smiled down affectionately at her and felt her sobbing in his chest before tightly embracing her back.

"I'm here, Gem."

Gemmalynn nodded quietly as she cried in Harry's arms, letting out all the sadness and guilt that were bottled up in her heart. She didn't want anyone to see her like this, so she chose to stay away from everyone. She wasn't confident to confide in anyone and burden them with her problems. However, when she saw Harry, everything just went pouring out.