xix. the valentine and the patronus

⚡⚡⚡

⚡⚡⚡

Weeks later, it was now spring. Butterflies fluttered over the great green lawn, the giant squid broke through the last glaze of ice on the Black Lake, and the Whomping Willow shook the water from its branches.

It was Valentine's day. The Great Hall was decorated with white, pink and red flowers. Little heart-shaped confetti were falling from the pale blue ceiling. The decorations were fresh and simple, unlike what Lockhart did last year.

Students gathered inside the hall with girls grinning in happiness as they talk about who they will give their gifts to, if their crushes will ever give them one back, and hoping their confessions will be successful. While the boys were glancing at their crushes. Most of them were secretly eyeing a certain redhead heiress, who just entered the hall with her Ravenclaw friend, Cho Chang.

"So, Gem, so far, I noticed you've been receiving the most love letters." Cho teased.

Gemmalynn looked down, hiding her blushing face. "Stop it. If we didn't have classes, I'd gladly lock myself in my room." she said and tightly clutched her books in her chest. "Nyra already delivered loads of love letters earlier this morning. I expected too much for this year's valentines after what happened last year with Lockhart, but to receive so much love letters isn't what I wanted to happen."

Cho chuckled in amusement as she stopped walking and looked up to stare at the little heart-shaped confetti fluttering down. Gemmalynn stopped walking as well and followed her gaze towards the ceiling. She smiled and raised her hand out to catch a heart-shaped confetti.

Unbeknownst to the redhead heiress, Harry gazed at her from the Gryffindor table with a lovestruck smile on his face. Hermione, who sat across from him, noticed he was distracted. She followed his gaze and saw he was looking at Gemmalynn. She sighed softly and gently kicked Harry's leg to get his attention, which was successful.

Harry flinched in surprise as he looked away from Gemmalynn towards Hermione. "What was that for?" he asked, confused.

Hermione frowned. "Did you get her anything? Please, don't tell me you just bought her pumpkin pasty? That's too simple."

Harry opened his mouth to respond, but remained quiet and looked away, knowing Hermione was right. Hermione seeing his reaction, shook her head in disbelief before noticing Draco approaching Gemmalynn.

"You're doomed." Hermione said and gestured her head towards Gemmalynn.

Harry turned around and saw Gemmalynn talking with Draco, while her friend, Cho, was standing at her side, smiling smugly at a fumming Pansy at the Slytherin table. He narrowed his eyes at Draco as he watched the two interact before frowning in jealousy when he saw a blushing Draco handing Gemmalynn a single red rose wrapped in a sheet of black velvet paper, before returning to the Slytherin table.