xxiv. the champion and the misunderstanding

⚡⚡⚡

⚡⚡⚡

"Your attention please! I would like to say a few words."

Everyone turned to Dumbledore, who stood in front of everyone with a jewelled case beside him.

"Eternal glory, that is what awaits the student who wins the tri-wizard tournament. But, to do this, that student must survive three tasks. Three extremely dangerous tasks."

"Wicked."

Gemmalynn turned to Fred and George with a confused frown. "You both sit tight. It's not for everyone." she told them, making them groan in defeat.

"For this reason the ministry has seen fit to impose a new rule. To explain all this we have the head of the department of international magic cooperation, Mister Bartemius Crouch."

Crouch walked behind the teacher's table as thunder roared above the ceiling and rain began leaking through the roof. Screams echoed out from the students as Gemmalynn was about to whip her wand out when she noticed a strange man standing in the doorway, beside the teacher's table and cast magic upwards, sealing the roof.

Gemmalynn eyes widen, recognizing who the strange man was as her grandfather's old friend. "It's Moody!" she said, happily and the others, hearing her, looked at the strange man.

"Bloody hell, it's Mad-Eye Moody." Ron said and glanced at the others.

"Alastor Moody? The Auror?" Hermione asked.

Dean turned to Hermione. "Auror?" he asked in confusion.

Ron leaned to Harry. "He was a catcher. Half the cells in Azkaban are full thanks to him. He's supposed to be mad as a hatter though these days."

Moody entered the hall and Gemmalynn flinched in surprise when she felt his eyes, mechanical and not, were directly on her. Harry noticed her flinching and looked worriedly at her.

"Are you alright, Gem?" Harry asked, worriedly.

Gemmalynn looked at Harry and smiled. "I'm fine, don't worry." she assured him.

"My dear old friend, thanks for coming." Dumbledore said and shook hands with Moody.

"That stupid roof." Moody muttered.

As Dumbledore walked away, Moody stepped aside and secretly took a drink from his coat. Gemmalynn stared at the drink with confusion as Seamus leaned closer to her and Harry from across the table.

"What's that he's drinking do you suppose?" Seamus asked, curiously.

"I don't know, but I don't think it's Pumpkin Juice." Harry told him as Gemmalynn nodded in agreement.

Crouch stood in front of everyone with Dumbledore behind him. "After much deliberation the ministry has concluded that for their own safety no student under the age of seventeen shall be allowed to put forth their name for the tri-wizard tournament." he announced.