The Last Piece to the Puzzle

Chapter 38

*Rachel's POV*

"And that's what happened." Niall finishes. He brings his hand up to caress my cheek but I flinch it away, instantly regretting it. His eyes show the sadness I'm guessing he is feeling. "You don't believe me." He mutters. "I would never hurt you, Rachel."

"I got to go."  I say, grabbing my belongings.  I know Niall would never hurt me and his story makes perfect sense.  And now that I think about it, I am denying the fact that I love him.

"You know, I've been getting a lot of hate on twitter."   He says.

I turn around to face him.  "Why is that?"

"They think I really did abuse you.  But I would never.  I would like to explain to them, but I want to make sure you're ok with it."

"Don't put me first, tell your fans.  I will even confess if you want me to.  Anything for you not to get in trouble."

"Thanks."  He mumbles, staring at the floor.

"Bye Niall."  I smile a little before turning back around.

Niall grabs my wrist.  "Rachel."

"Yes Niall?"  I sigh and turn around yet again, I might be getting whiplash. 

Niall pulls himself up to me and our lips meet.  He pulls me even closer and deepens the kiss.  I, foolishly, allow him to and get lost in it.  I've been yearning for this.  This kiss.  But I hid it.  I hid it so well that I didn't even know I wanted this.  He gently pushes me against the wall.  I smile into the kiss and enjoy it.

Then it hit me.  I hate Niall.  I freeze, but Niall continues, begging me to go along with it with his gentle kisses.  "Niall."  I mumble, finally able to find my voice.  "Niall."  I say firmer, this time getting his attention.

"You stopped."  Niall notes glumly.

"Yes, I stopped.  You hurt me.  I should really get going."  And this time, I don't wait for him to reply, I run.  And of course Niall follows.

"Rachel!"  He yells after me.  I run a lot when I want to exercise and volleyball season is over, so he doesn't catch up to me.  And, let's face it, Niall isn't the most fit guy in the world.  "Rachel!"  He repeats from a small distance away, sounding out of breath.

I just want to get away from it all.  I'm confused and I believe Niall, I'm just a bit scared.  Scared of what?  I told Niall everything two nights ago.  He called me countless times while I was trying to work up the nerve to come over and ask him.  I don't run to Loreto, I run to my house.  Jacob should be at his new friend's house and my parents will be at work.  That's good.  I need to be by myself so I can make sense of the story.  It does fit together.  His story makes even a little bit more sense then the paps'.

It doesn't take long for me to make it home, considering I don't live too far away from Niall.  Niall is a farther distance from me than when we started.  I have time to slip the key into the keyhole, though I miss it a numerous amount of times, before he catches up to me. 

I close the door and lock it behind me before sliding down the door and pull my knees to my chest.  It's not long before Niall bangs on the door and calls my name.  "You know, you never told me your answer."  Niall says from outside.  "You never told me where we stand."

I think about this and I honestly have no idea.  Ok, maybe I do.  To be honest, we both know where we stand.  A little more than friends.  "More than friends."  I call back to him.

"Does that mean-"

"No Niall, not yet." 

"Why not?"  He whines.