I'm Not Thankful

Chapter 33

*Rachel's POV*

I pet Lou my dog soothingly. He always comforts me when I'm sad. The golden retriever snuggles into me more. He's getting way too big for this, but I'll allow it for now.

It's a Friday night and for the day, I'm back home. In America, it would be Thanksgiving. It's usually on a Thursday but in Ireland when it's Friday, it's Thursday in America.

My mom thought it would be nice to still celebrate Thanksgiving. I totally agree with her. It's tradition to celebrate, but I'm not really in a thankful mood. I mean, what is there to be thankful for?

I will give you a list of problems occurring in my life right now and then give you a list of things to be grateful for.

Problems in life:

•Got in a car accident recently.

•Lost most of my memory from the car accident.

•The guy I like cheated on me.

•Everyone is taking his side.

•The guy I'm pretending to like is begging me to marry him.

•I still have yet to break up with the guy I don't like.

•Lou is cutting off the circulation in my legs right now but he's far too comfy and warm to push off of me right now.

Things to be grateful for:

•I survived the accident with minor injuries.

•I just got a job at a volleyball center and I'm part of the team now.

•I have a great best friend and an awesome family to help me out.

•Lou is really warm and snuggly, perfect for the cold weather.

OK, so the last two things on the lists were really stupid and random but I haven't been thinking straight.

The smell of turkey floats through the house and my stomach grumbles. I can't imagine how much this dinner costs, since there are no Thanksgiving deals like "Turkey 30% off!" or "Buy a pound of corn, get one free!". But my mom was so excited about this that I didn't try to bring it up.

My father yells at the laptop. I found him a website that plays American football live. He is now watching the his favorite team play.

"Eric! Quiet down! Are you watching your favorite team lose or getting tortured in there?" My mother yells from the kitchen.

"A combination of both." My father grunts in reply.

"Well quiet down. I can barely hear myself think." My mother laughs.

"Mom, do you need any help in there?" I ask, feeling bad. I'm more than old enough to help out. I'm just too lazy to.

"That would be lovely." She walks in from the kitchen wiping her hands on a towel. "If you can pry Lou off of you."

"Lou." I say, picking up his favorite toy and tossing it near the middle of the living area. "Go and get it!"

Automatically, Lou jumps off of me and retrieves his beloved lamb. He bites into it and manages to rip the toy's leg off. Poor lamb.

I stand up and head to the kitchen. "Wash your hands." My mom instructs me.

I do as told and then she orders me on what she wants me to help with. I try to make mental notes, not wanting to forget what might come in handy one day. Hopefully I will be able to teach these skills to my kids one day.