Time to Move On

Chapter 17

*Niall's POV*

Now I truly understand "Nobody Compares".

*Rachel's POV*

"What did I do?"  I ask, hiding my face with my hands.

"You know, you have a hint of an Irish accent."  My friend from America says.  Two days had passed since the concert and I wanted to meet up with my old friends, take my mind off things.

"Really?"  I ask.  Carly successfully took my mind  off "James" the boy I had an argument with.  I didn't tell them that I was dating Niall, so I referred to him as James. 

"Just a hint though.  By next year you'll probably be talking like an Irish."  I just realized how much I missed Carly.  She's a good friend.

"I missed you."  I give her a small smile.

"I missed you more."  She smiles back at me. 

"So, how am I going to get James back?"

"Well, a drunk man cheating on you is only a little bit different from a sober man cheating.  I say it's better you two just take separate paths."

I want to tell her that there's a big difference.  "But I still love him."

"Make up your mind.  Are you mad at him or what?"  Carly is slightly joking.

"Or what, um I mean mad.  Well, I'm not that mad at him."  I stutter.

"How about we take a break from this subject.  Let's talk about something that always brightens your spirits.  Niall Horan."  Carly is grinning from ear to ear.

Just the thought of Niall James Horan dampers my spirits.  "Umm..."

"Did you meet him yet?  Did you pass by his house?  Did you go to Nando's?"  Her questions are thrown at me are lightning speed and I feel sick to my stomach.

"Yes, yes, and yes."  I say quietly.

"What was he like?  Is he as dreamy as he is in all his pictures?"  Carly has a faraway look in her eyes as she always does when she talks about her crush.

"Dreamier."  I fake a smile, playing along.

"What did he say to you?"

"Well, I was eating at Nando's at the airport and he asked if he could sit with me and I said yes, of course, and then ha asked me if I was staying long.  Then he said he needed a ride so my parents and Jake and I drove him home."  I barely take a breath when I tell her.  The memory brings back both happy and sad feelings.

"Oh. My. Gosh."  She is staring at me wide-eyed.  "Did you...keep in touch?"

"No."  I lie.

"You're so lucky. To have met him, I mean.  I wish you guys would have kept in touch."

We continue to talk for a while and then we say goodbye, heading in different directions.

"You're so lucky."  She said to me.  I guess I am.  Before, when I was a crazed fangirl, I would have loved to meet him.  Bur if I knew I would be hurt like this, I would have taken it all back.  Maybe for a short moment I was lucky, but now I'm lost and I don't know what to do.

*One Month Later*

Music blares through our dorm.  "Gosh, could they get any louder"  Riley clutches her head as she looks at her laptop screen.

"Maybe you should take a break."  I say, Riley has been non-stop on her laptop trying to finish her report.

"You're right."  She sighs and closes her laptop.  Riley walks up to our small pantry and says, "Care for some Chef Boyardee?"  She holds up one of those Chef Boyardee cups labeled "Ravioli".