Old 'Friend'

Chapter 36

*Rachel's POV*

"How's my hair?" I ask, untying it and putting it into a braid for the tenth time this morning.

"It's fine. It's perfect. It's wonderful. You look wonderful. Stop fiddling. You look great." Riley orders me. She is wearing a simple dress with her hair curled. Her hair is full of hairspray since her hair is so straight that without it, her hair would be straight again within fifteen minutes of curling it.

When I'm nervous, I fiddle. With almost anything. Sometimes it's my hair and other times it's the hem of my shirt. It depends.

"Why are you so nervous anyway?" Riley asks, adding makeup to her face.

"When he sees me... he will be mad."

"He loves you, why would he be mad?"

"Are you forgetting the prank I pulled on him?"

Riley smiles at me. "He'll forgive you."

"Let's hope so."

It takes us ten more minutes to get ready before we head to Mel's. More nerves are growing higher and higher, taller than a skyscraper. I fiddle with my hair and tap my toes. The hem of my blouse is now a toy.

Riley pulls into the driveway and takes a deep breath before looking at me. "Ready?"

"No." I sigh.

"It's time. You should face him and talk. I know you can't move on from him unless you two sort things out." Stupid Riley with her logic. She's right. I know she is and she's knows too.

I get out of Riley's car reluctantly and knock on Mel's door. A boy around Niall's age answers the door. "Rachel?" He asks. I nod. "Come in." He gets out of the way and gives Riley and I room to enter.

Mel runs into the room wearing a light pink dress and a lot more makeup than you would expect her to. Her mom must be on her back again about dressing 'nice'. She seems embarrassed to be wearing something she wouldn't usually wear. "I know, all I need is a crown and then I would be eligible to be a princess." She rolls her eyes.

"I think you look nice." Riley tries. She always liked dresses more than Mel and me.

"You look wonderful!" Mrs. Vega says from the kitchen.

"Whatever Mum!" Mel groans. "You want to go to my room?"

"Sure." I say and we follow Mel to her old bedroom filled with sport trophies and whatnot.

"So, how was the game last night?" Riley asks us.

"Amazing! Thanks to Rachel, we beat the best team!" Mel brags.

"Oh, stop-" I get interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Come in!" Mel yells as if the door if five feet thick. I don't pay attention to the door as someone walks in. It's probably her brother coming to warn her not to embarrass him or something.

A gasp cones from the other side of the room and I look up from my nails and see Niall.

*Niall's POV*

Her innocent face looks full of surprise. It never crossed my mind that the two guests could be Rachel and Riley. I look at Riley who seems a bit guilty. I look tired from lack of sleep. I barely got an hour of sleep since the nightmare.

"Rachel?" I ask, maybe I'm seeing things.

"Hi." She mumbles shyly, it almost comes out as a whimper. I look at her left hand in search for the ring. I don't see it.