17

Song for this chapter is "Stressed Out" by Twenty One pilots.

"So... You're a princess, huh?"

Rose POV:

Giselle's curious chestnut eyes inspected my own as she casually took a sip of her iced tea.

"Oui," I answered. I figured Giselle would have many questions for me regarding my royalty. She hadn't brought up any before but I guess now she was ready to get answers and I was willing to tell her what ever she needed to know.

"Princess Claire Rose Lenoir. I like it... Sounds elegant," Giselle said with a thoughtful expression.

I smiled.

"Queen Claire Rose Lenoir... That's fucking insane. Oh God, I've made out with a fucking Queen," she proclaimed.

"Not yet a Queen," I giggled.

"Sorry, my majesty. I'm still adjusting," she teased, "it's just that... I've seen you laugh so hard that you caused milk to come out of your nose and now... It's just so crazy."

"Je sais," I understood.

Translation: "I know."

"And your father is the King of France?" She asked for clarification.

"Correct."

"But wouldn't your mother be the queen, then?" Giselle had finished her drink and now had her attention to the straw in her cup. She bent it over and over again in different directions and would occasionally shake the cup to watch the ice move.

"No. They're divorced," I stated.

"Oh, right. Sorry," she apologized.

"Don't be," I replied.

"When... Do you become the Queen?"

"When my father steps down or if something happens to him then I take over."

She slowly nodded her head back and forth. Her hands stopped toying with the cup. Her head went still. Her eyes were focused ahead of her, but looking at nothing in particular.

"And then you'll leave," she took a deep breath, "permanently?" Her voice was soft as she spoke. Her head turned slightly as her sad gaze settled upon me.

"Yes," I said. I did not want to think about this. I didn't want her to think about this. The last thing I wanted to do was leave.

"Oh... That makes sense."

I wanted to tell her how much she means to. How much I wanted to be with her. Yet, I can't. Not until I can assure her that one day I won't have to leave her.  She's the one, has always been the one, will always be the one. I think a tiny part of me always knew it but just never wanted to acknowledge that fact. Now I can't deny it any longer. I want to spend the rest of my life with her, but there's things that I need to handle before I can do that.

I wanted to pull her into a hug and tell her that I would rather die than leave her permanently, but that would go against everything I told her about not being ready for us to move our relationship to the next level. I honestly gave no fucks to what people would think about us being together, at least the people here. However, France was a different story.

"Next month there's a meeting I have to attend... In France. I won't be gone for long, I promise," I told her.

She gave me a weak smile and nodded her head, her hair shook, causing her bun to loosen. She undid the bun and attempted to fix it.

"Elle," I called, quietly.

Her head was facing forwards as she fixed her hair so I wasn't able to see her face, but I heard sniffling.