10

Song "One Call Away" by Charlie Puth. The picture is of the school's courtyard.

Giselle POV:

I felt guilty about telling Cara that I'd go with her to homecoming. Rose wasn't going to like it and I was afraid to tell her. On the other hand, Cara got so excited when I told her yes.

Yet, overall, I don't think that I did something horribly wrong by agreeing to go with her. We're just going as friends. Rose is going with Matt, so why can't I go with Cara.

Besides, it's not like anything is going to happen between me and Cara. She knows I like Rose. Rose knows that I don't like Cara in that way. However, I just recently found out how jealous Rose can get, so I know she's not going to take it well.

I really hope my decision doesn't come back and bite me in the ass.

It was raining when I woke up the next day. The weather matched my mood. I had texted Rose for a long time yesterday and never once brought up homecoming. Not telling her was eating away at my conscience. I needed to tell her, but I wanted to do it privately incase she reacted strongly to my news.

During lunch, I sat with my usual crew; Matt, Rose, Chris, Kai, Todd, and Andrew. We were sitting on the steps in the school's courtyard that led down to a small outdoor stage. I was leaning my back against the stairs and Rose was leaning on me. Matt was sitting on the other side of Rose.

I watched as Kai kept flirting with Todd. She would occasionally brush her hand against his and laugh at his jokes, even if they weren't funny she would still laugh. I think he caught on to the flirting because he moved closer to her and playfully touched her curly, brown hair. They looked like elementary kids who had just started dating their crush.

They way they would look at each and blush, or how they would awkwardly try to initiate physical contact with one another but would get nervous and stop. I imagined me and Rose looked like that, except weren't awkward with touching one another. We would give each other little looks that to others might look like two friends goofing around, but we knew it was more than that.

Andrew and Chris were talking about the homecoming football game. Apparently they were going to face the school rivals, the Trojans. Every time I hear that name, all I can think of is the Trojan condom brand. Andrew, Chris, Matt, and Todd, played on the school's varsity football team. Personally, I never really cared for football, but I would go to their games to support them.

"Man, we're gonna fuckin' destroy them," Andrew said, he hit his fist against his hand.

"The Trojan's aren't going to know what hit them. Our team is solid this year," Chris added.

Matt agreed with them.

Rose snuggled up to me, I could hear her take a deep breath.

"Your hair smells so good," she whispered in my ear, making it tickle in a good way, "like flowers."

She began twirling her manicured fingers through my hair. It felt so good, it was hard to act like her touch wasn't affecting me. None of our friends were paying attention to us, they were too involved in talking about the football game. Even if they did see us, they would never suspect that we liked each other beyond friendship.

"Let's hang out after school," she said, softly, continuing to play with my hair. It wasn't a question.

I nodded.

"So, Claire," Matt said.

"Yes?" She never took her head off my chest.

"Do you know the color of your dress?"