Life 2 - Chapter 9

I kept glancing at Mitch as everyone else filed into the Trial Room.

"HEHEHE!!!  We're all here.  Let the trial...BEGIN, BOYO!"

I frowned as he danced in a little circle.  "Mental puffball...."  I murmured.

MonoKirby glared at me before Quentin began the trial.  "So, Jerome, Mitch, you guys found Jess first?"

We both nodded.  "I was sleeping in Ian's room because for some reason, my door was locked.  To make a long story short, I helped Ian bake a cake.  I had jolted awake at around 5 AM because something didn't feel right.  I'd gotten up and left the room quietly.  I ran up to Mitch's door and knocked.  He answered almost immediately.  I told him my feelings and he said he'd been feeling the exact same since 4 AM.  He also said he'd been tossing and turning all night because of those feelings.  We both ran to the Grand Hall and saw nothing out of place.  My feelings of discomfort increased as we entered the kitchen.  I ran up to the fridge and opened it, being greeted by that sight.  The body alarm didn't go off, so Mitch and I concluded that probably 3 or more people would need to see the body.  We took that as an advantage and looked around for clues."

"Boyo!  That's a bad loophole.  I am going to need to talk to the mastermind about that, boyo."  MonoKirby grumbled.  I just chuckled.

"Anyways, we came back to get y'all up the moment the lights turned on.  Now, here we are."

Quentin seemed deep in thought.  "Did you guys find any evidence?"  Nick asked.

I nodded.  "Yes, but before I do, does anyone else have some kind of evidence outside of ours?"

"I do."  Seto called out.  He pulled out a pair of glasses with a missing lens.  "We found these in Ian's room."

Quentin glanced over and gasped.  He pulled the missing lens from his pocket.  "I found these near Jess."

He walked over to Ian and held it up.  Same shade.

He walked up to Sky.  His shades were slightly lighter.

He walked over to Seto and placed it in the empty spot.  A perfect fit.

Quentin sighed and walked back to his podium, slipping the fake evidence into his pocket.  "Ian, did you kill Jess?"

"No."  I quickly replied.  "He did not."

Ian looked at me gratefully whilst everyone else looked at me in confusion.

"That was...a very fast reply, Jerome.  How are you so sure?"  Seto questioned.

"Well, before we go any further, I'd like to state that Jess was choked to death, not stabbed in the throat.  That was a cover-up.  The author can't figure out where to put this piece of evidence, so...yeah."

I smirked.  "I'm a light sleeper."

I saw Ty tense slightly.

"Wait.  Scratch that.  That's a lie.  I'm a heavy sleeper, but would you sleep heavily in someone else's room, knowing that they could kill you no matter how much you trusted them?  So I slept lightly last night.  I would've known if Ian had gotten up.  He never moved the entire night.  On the other hand...someone did sneak into Ian's room."

I glanced at Ty.  He was smirking, but it was forced.  "Right, Ty?"

Quentin hummed in thought.  "That's quite an accusation.  Evidence?"

"Well, for one, I SAW him.  For more concrete evidence...."  I pulled the green shard from my pocket and walked over to Ty, holding it up to the left side of his headphones.  There was a small piece missing, and it was the exact same size as the shard in my hand.

"Ty...you killed Jess."

Ty froze.  I chuckled lightly under my breath as I pocketed the shard and walked back to my podium.

I glanced at Mitch and saw his eyes close, like he was deep in thought.

Then, he began speaking.  "So, last night, Ian and Jerome stayed up to bake a cake.  Jerome's room was locked for some reason, so Jerome stayed in Ian's room.  Ty got up and decided to kill last night/extremely early this morning.  He snuck into Ian's room, popped out a lens to frame him, and snuck back out.  Jess, for some reason that we will never know, was up in the kitchen.  Ty took this as a cue to kill.  He choked her to death and then stabbed her throat to cover up the hand marks.  During the attack, Jess must've smacked Ty's headphones because of the piece of glass in her hand.  He strategically placed the lens near Jess and went back to bed, coming out with everyone else acting surprised."

Then Ty did something that I expected. He began laughing. "Welp. Seems that I've been caught."

Sky frowned.  "Ty, why?!"

"Why?  Hope and despair, of course!  My character always seems to be mental in Dangan Ronpa books, rambling off about hope and despair, so why not here, too?  Besides...my secret isn't exactly the most terrifying.  I suppose you could say that I protected someone."  He then glanced at Ian, who flinched back.

"I believe everyone has come to a decision, boyo!"  MonoKirby clapped.  The podium's top slid back to reveal 15 names.  I, along with everyone else besides Ty, pressed the same button.

The slot machine came up in the center with mine, Ian's, and Sky's face on it.  MonoKirby hopped on the lever and the machine began spinning.  Slowly, the slots stopped.

Ty.  Ty.  Ty.

The word popped up above the machine.

GUILTY

"CORRECT!  Ty is the killer, boyo!"  MonoKirby exclaimed.

Ty shrugged.  "Oh well.  I did what I wanted.  I'm content."

"HEHEHEHE!  I think y'all know what's next, boyo!"

MonoKirby rubbed his nubs together.  "Secret time!"

"So, Jess's secret was one she was most definitely not happy with, boyo.  She had abandoned a friend in a place with their worst enemy to die.  She could've saved him, boyo.  As for Ty...well, he's part of an evil cult that's killed hundreds of people!  He even got his brother killed, boyo!"  (FAV BOOK REFERENCE FTW)

Ty flinched but remained silent.

The rest of us were shocked into silence.

The slot machine, which still had Ty's face on it, flashed a screen above the slots.  There was a pixelated MonoKirby sucking Ty into his mouth and dashing off the screen.

MonoKirby only laughed his creepy laugh. "Welp, time for the execution, boyo!"

A slot opened up beneath Ty.  He fell in with a yelp.

The rest of us were corralled into a small room across from a much larger room with a huge pane of glass across it.

Ty was dropped into the room.  He scrambled up and looked around frantically.  MonoKirby appeared in front of him, a remote with a single button in his hand.

He poised his nubby hand over the button.  "Let the execution...."

He smashed his hand onto the button and disappeared, his last words echoing through the rooms.

"BEGIN, BOYO!"